Author Topic: Stagehand Wages  (Read 27628 times)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stagehand Wages
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:44 pm »
I can definitely see where there is a high concentration of the same work in the same area, the going rates are probably going to be similar.  We have the issue here that the stagehands are constantly talking about how much they can get paid for working in Chicago, to which our response is explain that we're not Chicago and can't compete with wages there.

-Centaura

Well...and the dues are much much much higher in Chicago and in New York, and its extremely difficult, nigh impossible, to get on the list right away, let alone acually move up to where you're getting enough work to make a living.  i think the initial fee to get your card for locals 1 & 2 is somewhere in the 3G range?  Plus the yearly dues are much more expensive than "smaller" locals. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2007, 12:39 pm »
Plus the yearly dues are much more expensive than "smaller" locals. 

I wonder what the regs on dues are for the locals here who work Chicago calls.  Do they just pay their 'local' local, or are they members of Chicago as well?  I'd be curious to know.  As well, we draw hands in from two other locals when we have really big calls here, as my local can't muster more than 30 or 40 hands generally.  The list is longer, but when there's a call for particular skills then we draw from outside.  I'll have to chat with some of the hands and find out, I'm curious now.

-Centaura

LisaEllis

« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2007, 03:52 pm »
I don't know about the Chicago area specifically, but it's not unusual for the BAs to be in communication with each other.  If a larger-that-usual show comes in, and the local can't fill it, they'll call a neighboring local to complete the call.  Or a busier than normal time, like political conventions or the Super Bowl, that require alot of additional labor.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2007, 08:46 pm »
During busy times it is also possible to be able to subcontract labor that is not part of your local.  A little trick I learned.  When there is a huge gig or convention in town figure out the load in calls.  Then call the hall last minute and request people with specific skills.  When they can't provide the labor you can go elsewhere.  In some contracts.  Useful if you need to do some maintenance. 
Peace,

Chops

gatomonkey

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:44 am »
What about the general wages for a Stage Manager Position?

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:47 pm »
I work in a half union house as a stagehand and as a non-union member, I get $10 per hour with a 3 hour minimum. I live in Sioux Falls, SD.
Sean

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2008, 01:25 pm »

Stage managers aren't covered by IATSE wages - their proper union affiliation is Equity.  There can sometimes be exemptions to this, but they're more language technicalities than exemptions.  In my house, when we have the symphony in rehearsal, the one stage hand that's here to babysit is often called the 'stage manager', but he's not really doing much traditional 'stage management' work.  He's the hand that the contract says must be on the call for the symphony to be onstage.

-Centaura

ptstone

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2011, 10:54 pm »
In Milwaukee ,  I am non-union.  I make $10 an hour at the Bradley Center arena.  $12 at the Riverside theater, and $18 at the seasonal Alpine Valley music Theater in East Troy, WI.

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2011, 06:31 pm »
In my neck of the woods, non-union could be as low as $10/hr and union hands start around $19/hr and go up from there.

Post Merge: Jul 01, 2011, 06:37 pm
As an SM, I have worked for $100/week, $900/week, and all points in between.  All non-CAEA.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2011, 06:37 pm by cprted »

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2011, 02:53 pm »
Our rough estimate in Ohio is $50 per night- 4hour max. Or $300 per week.

Finn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:56 am »
Wow...I was just bitching about my day rate until i read these rates...I'm a freelance stage hand for mostly corporate events in the NYC metro area..we charge $150 half day.. half day being 1-5 hrs and a $300 full day 6-10 hrs.. after 10 its $45 dollars an hr on top of my day rate...I know techs and other hands who get above $400 for a day rate.. so i guess I should stop bitching lol