Author Topic: Stage Manager's Association  (Read 7822 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Stage Manager's Association
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:12 am »
I've been looking at the SMA website, clicking around, debating on joining. I noticed the dues have gone down quite a bit since the last time I visited it, so I'm considering it even more.

For those of you who are members, has it been helpful? Is it worth it? 
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Stage Manager's Association
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:41 pm »
Oh, the SMA debate. 

I've been a member for 2 years now.  I can't really say that it has helped me out in any way, but since it costs so little this year I rejoined.  The SMA does send out job postings every so often.  They are typically NYC based and non-union, occasionally Opera a few AEA.  They do provide contact information for all of their members, which some people find useful, however to this point I have not.  Even though the SMA is the only professional stage manager's organization very few of its members are working Broadway, Off Broadway or LORT.  Just as with this site most people seem to be students or fellow struggling Stage Managers.  If you are in NYC there are meetings every so often and these can be pretty useful.  A friend who happened to be in town a few months ago went and she received great information about networking and freelancing.  There are also monthly chats, but being on the west coast I have not sat in on one yet. 

I'd love to hear for anyone who has found being an SMA member greatly beneficial.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:53 pm »
I, for one, appreciate an honest opinion from a member of the SMA.  Precisely why I did not join fresh out of college.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:08 am »
I have been a member of the SMA since grad school, about ten years ago now.

I think it's funny to see people ask is it worth it to join.  Like any sort of membership or professional group organization, a lot of what you get out of it is going to be what you put into it.  You can join SMNetowrk, for example, not post, not log in, not take advantage of the site, and thus not get anything out of it.  It's a group of people, with a common interest, and you can take advantage of what they have to offer.

I can say, I have found a couple of jobs from their postings (all of them have been last minute replacement jobs for shows that either fell through or closed early). I have found a lot of stage managers from the SMA.  I have made contacts with a lot of other stage managers, and have networked to a certain extent (since I am pretty much attached to one theater, I don't network for jobs per se, just sort of network for networking sake). 

The SMA is actually working very hard (I was a secretary for the organization for awhile back before my current work situation blew up . . . long story there) to reach out to regional stage managers after facing the rap of being New York based for so long, and they are constantly looking for new ways to do.  (they have sponsored a SMA drink night or two in the DC area) Join and be active in the organization, if you are the joining type.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:25 am »
I'm in NYC and non-union, so I think maybe this is a good decision for me. Thanks!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:33 am »
Even though the SMA is the only professional stage manager's organization very few of its members are working Broadway, Off Broadway or LORT.

I strongly question this assertion.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:52 pm »
So what's the deal with being approved as a member of the SMA? Is it a manual process by someone at the SMA? Are they actually checking the references that I listed? That could be tricky, since they didn't ask for any contact info for the references.

I joined up yesterday at lunch, entered my credit card info, got an email a couple minutes later confirming my payment has been processed, but just now when I tried to log into the site, I got this message: "Your account has not yet been approved!"

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:14 am »
Mike,

The applications are hand-approved, and it's a volunteer organization.  You should have just received an email from me.  Actually, since you listed your website, I could look at that for some of what I needed to approve - the fact that you are pursuing a career as a stage manager.  Plus stating SMNetwork in your application.

Meanwhile to everyone else - I have been the co-secretary for 4 years (finishing my tenure as of this Tuesday's annual meeting when I will be voted one of the 3 chairs - 3 of us running for 3 positions, so I know I'm in somewhere).  As mentioned, it is a volunteer organization so you get out of it what you want like SMNetwork.  I have started up my own regional drink nights - Denver is currently 2nd in the country, after Philadelphia, in activity), as well as participate in the various other national options we have.  I also use the member contact sheet to find other stage managers as I travel, as well as those I've "met" through email, etc.  It certainly has helped me feel connected to professional stage managers around the country.  I have received some jobs through the postings (none in NYC - I don't apply for those), but for me it is about the networking and being attached to an association of professional stage managers.  Plus, for those who aren't aware, the SMA is the reason that Equity has councillor positions for stage managers that we can vote for and help protect us.  5 positions were created for stage managers after our pressure decades ago. 

And we're not "just" Equity stage managers either - I also do dance, opera...whatever I can get!

Erin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:15 am by smejs »

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 12:07 pm »
Hi Erin,

Yes, I received your email. Thanks very much, I'm looking forward to reading through the SMA web site. I'm on vacation, so can't eavesdrop on the annual meeting this afternoon. Mike

Bkstgboy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Center Theatre Group
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:08 pm »
I went to my first meeting on Tuesday after having recently joined and enjoyed getting to meet a whole new group of people.  As someone who recently moved to NYC from LA, it was nice to broaden myself into a network of people I would have otherwise not known. 

riotous