Author Topic: SPT SM Overtime Tech Week  (Read 7094 times)

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
SPT SM Overtime Tech Week
« on: Nov 19, 2010, 03:10 pm »
This is my first show on an SPT contract.  The other contracts I've worked under provide an SM bump during tech and allows for more hours than the regular rehearsal hours.  SPT does not. 

So my question is how do you determine SM overtime during tech?  One person at Equity told me "any time you are required to be at the theatre," but I'm not so sure about this.  I know the hours the actors are called will be counted for SM's as well, but do tech notes count as work hours?  LORT specifically excludes "production meetings" during tech week to be counted as work hours but LORT also has the SM bump.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2010, 06:36 pm by thankyou5 »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: SPT SM Overtime Tech Week
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2010, 03:34 pm »
I remember on the SPT that anytime you were at the theatre (meetings, tech, whatever) was all counting towards the hours . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:24 pm »
The theatre I work in most is under SPT.  If I'm in the theatre, working, I report it as hours.  Including prep, breakdown, notes with director, meetings with designers, etc.  Thus far, they've always paid me the overtime I've put in, in tech week, or otherwise.
However, if I'm in the theatre, napping up in the back of the house, I don't count it.   ;)
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2010, 09:31 pm »
I count meetings, rehearsal hours and notes; but not my paperwork updating, and everyday set up stuff~ unless I'm coming in extra to cover for someone else. (IE; the PA has a day job and can't get here in time to sweep the floor; I count that floor sweeping time as overtime.)

But; be very clear with your producer prior to incurring those hours~ I've had producers tell me to go home rather than pay the overtime of tech notes. (Which is infuriating, because OF COURSE I need to stay!)

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2010, 11:17 pm »
I have spoken to the producer about this and expressed my understanding that the rule book requires me to be paid for tech notes.  The producer said that it was part of my job and therefore it was not considered overtime and that they have never paid for tech notes (slightly concerning since they've been around for 10 years).  However, the producer will look over the rules again.  I have put another phone call into Equity, but our rep did not respond.   I'll ask the producer before tech notes tomorrow night if they want me to stay or not until we can come to an agreement.

Thanks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2010, 11:45 pm »
True, previous stage managers may not have billed for it . . . but you are most likely due the overtime - but it still needs to be approved by the producers.  So, you may be put into a position where they will do tech notes without you, or you can stay without pay.  That's just frugal producers, putting the bottom line before what is probably in the show's best interest.  (Can you imagine a tech notes stage management without a stage management presence?)

Sigh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2010, 12:37 am »
Since your Rep has not responded and it is now the weekend and you will get Tech notes tomorrow, I would suggest you call the Emergency Hotline in your area. In my humble opinion, this needs an immediate answer and advice. Tech Notes without the Stage Manager is ridiculous. And a safety violation just waiting to happen...
Ordo ab chao

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2010, 12:20 pm »
I’ve done a lot of SPT, and I think “required” to be at the theater can be the catch.  Like Balletdork, I would not count normal pre-set time since really my crew is doing the work, so I think I should be there but am not sure it is “required.”  I would count a dry tech or specific meeting to work with a designer or the director on an issue before actors arrive as required and falling into overtime.  In working with your producer on this, I’d also clarify which Tech Notes you mean.  I’ve usually heard the post-rehearsal notes for tech referred to as the production meeting, and the Tech Notes being the work that needs to be done by set, lights, etc, before the next rehearsal.  If the producer is thinking like me, they may not think you need to be present for Tech Notes.  But if they’re on the same page as you and thinking about post-rehearsal, I’d agree with others that the SM should be there.  A final thing to remember is that as SM you have more hours in your contractual work week than the actors do.  If your theater company is efficient, they may be able to accomplish notes quickly enough after rehearsal that you are kept within your maximum hours, so keep careful records of when you come and go. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

HollywoodH

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:28 am »
I had the same issue come up last week including the producer saying our last PSM didn't ever run into overtime...
It's tech- everyone works more during tech. It's ridiculous if they have tech notes without you. Anyway, everyone gave great advice on this issue. I enjoyed reading the responses.

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:08 pm »
So it's finally been worked out.  After several discussions with the AEA business rep and the producer, the producer agreed to pay for all of hours worked.  This includes before the actor call, shortened meal breaks, notes after tech; basically all hours I am at the theatre working.  I'm very glad I put up with all the stress of fighting for this.  While the producer may never work with me again, at least I have paved the way for future SM's to be paid for their extra hours during tech, which were significant.     

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:59 pm »
Congratulations on the resolution of this matter, and thank you for sticking it out! It's not always easy to do the right thing!

So it's finally been worked out.  After several discussions with the AEA business rep and the producer, the producer agreed to pay for all of hours worked.  This includes before the actor call, shortened meal breaks, notes after tech; basically all hours I am at the theatre working.  I'm very glad I put up with all the stress of fighting for this.  While the producer may never work with me again, at least I have paved the way for future SM's to be paid for their extra hours during tech, which were significant.   
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:13 pm »
For the greater good.
We thank you.