Author Topic: Snow Day=Cancelled Rehearsal  (Read 5193 times)

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
Snow Day=Cancelled Rehearsal
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:41 pm »
We got some snow here in Ohio, and while I am super-excited (!!!!) it means that we've cancelled our second rehearsal in 2 weeks.

Our normal day off is Friday and an actor brought up the idea of changing our day off this week to make up for the lost day.

I can't find anything in the handbook (SPT) about making up a cancelled rehearsal, only that you need a week to officially change the day off. I sort of think this is a grey area issue, we wouldn't be altering our rehearsal schedule for the duration, just this week and it would be by a unanimous vote if we took it that far.

The other factor is this is that the composer is coming to work with us this week and we'll be losing a day with him.

Anyone have a similar experience? What did you do?
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Day=Cancelled Rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:15 pm »
We got some snow here in Ohio, and while I am super-excited (!!!!) it means that we've cancelled our second rehearsal in 2 weeks.

Our normal day off is Friday and an actor brought up the idea of changing our day off this week to make up for the lost day.

Without looking at your contrcat, I think you might be able do this -- I would take a (secret ballot) vote and call your Equity rep.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:25 pm »
Situation resolved. We got a lot of work done this week and are taking tomorrow off.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2007, 10:56 am »
Did you talk to AEA though?  You guys taking an unofficial day off is one thing but what about the official moving the day off question (or was it not asked because you guys worked it out)?  I'm curious what AEA would say. 

I didn't ask because we ended up taking our scheduled day off. I'm going to call on Monday though as we are getting hit again with snow and have people driving an hour to rehearse, which is why we cancel in the first place.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2007, 01:48 pm »

I didn't ask because we ended up taking our scheduled day off. I'm going to call on Monday though as we are getting hit again with snow and have people driving an hour to rehearse, which is why we cancel in the first place.

If the producer wishes to change the day off for any reason, why don't you let him/her call the AEA Rep. and ask for a concession or a solution.  You can call to confirm the decision if you wish, but let the PRODUCER ask for this (or any) adjustment to the rules.

Just my 2 cents!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda