Author Topic: Searching for EMC positions...  (Read 4856 times)

geridith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Searching for EMC positions...
« on: Apr 17, 2007, 01:53 am »
Ok, so I've read aaaaall the info on the AEA site and searched the web till my eyes have gone blurry... but its seeming a lot more difficult to actually *find* EMC-qualifying positions than it says. I went through the EMC theatre list on the website, all 24 pages of it, and sent out a bunch of emails to theatres in my area (Los Angeles, CA) but am waiting on replys. Anyone have tips for getting the ball rolling on EMC credit? I'm starting to worry a little now, since I was planning on relocating to NYC around August, and wondering how to go about finding EMC positions there as well.

Samantha

nmno

Re: Searching for EMC positions...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2007, 12:00 am »
LORT theatres on the whole can give you EMC points *if* there is a PSM and an ASM on the staff... <cut> ...It could be only B and above can do the points.... it changed about 10 years ago and I don't remember the details.

FYI, I know that you can get EMC points at C theatres (and 6 years ago you could at D - anyone with more update info?), and there does not need to be an AEA ASM in either of those since a AEA ASM is not required. (basically, available AEA positions need to be filled...) 

To reiterate something else scoot said, just find work...  I think EMC is good in the sense that it says, "Yes, I'm serious about joining the union" but for most of the SMs I know, their EMC points were irrelevant - most joined before earning the 50 or whatever necessary by just being offered a contract.

But if you really want them, start with LORT theaters.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2007, 01:30 am »
i got EMC points at a theatre that at the time I think was LOA referencing Lort D, but is now Lort D, if that helps at all.

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2007, 07:34 am »
I was offered EMC weeks at an SPT10.  I was the assistant to the stage manager for a season for a resident Equity SM.  I'd get I think 41 weeks the first season, and the rest the second.  I took the experience but turned the points down, because it wasn't the right time for me.  I really wanted to build up my resume first. But in terms of EMC some SPT's might be another direction to look.  I found that job through Artsearch.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2007, 09:58 am »
I second the idea of looking at SPT theaters.  Many offer EMC points, and have only one Equity SM, so there’s a good chance you’ll function as the ASM (that was my experience gaining points, although I ultimately joined AEA through signing a contract, rather than the EMC program). 

Here is another thread about EMC that you may find helpful:
http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,923.msg5337/topicseen.html#msg5337
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)