Author Topic: Scheduling: not rehearsal or performance  (Read 2929 times)

AshleyR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Scheduling: not rehearsal or performance
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:50 pm »
Hi there.  I'm working at a small theatre under a 99-seat plan and have some questions about scheduling photo calls.  Unfortunately, it is standard for this company to schedule archival photo calls and press photo calls about a week before they happen, even a few days beforehand.  Because they aren't on the master schedule when rehearsals begin, this "additional" time can cause problems.  This has resulted in multiple negotiations, where actors are proposing schedules and I'm having to respond with requests for more time.  There has also been a lot of tension with the director expecting the actors to agree to staying later at rehearsals, coming in early here and there, and generally not being very efficient with her time and asking the actors to accommodate her.  In light of this climate, I understand where our actors are coming from, but at what point can I say "you do not determine the schedule," or is it entirely at the cast's discretion since it wasn't on the original schedule?

Thanks for your help as I fumble around...

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Scheduling: not rehearsal or performance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:12 pm »
True, actors DON'T normally get approval of their schedule, but you need to look at the specific wording in the AEA agreement for your actors.

Although the 99-Seat outlines a section about photographs . . .

18. PHOTOGRAPHS
Individual, rehearsal or production photographs may be used for publicity and advertising purposes, but may not be used in conjunction with any commercial product without the prior written authorization of the Actor and of Equity.

But, no rules about scheduling a photo call . . . given, that, I think as long as you following the rehearsal rules, and it's within those hours, you should be fine, and there should be expectation the should show up.

BUT . . . we you are not really paying a living wage, good management skills would probably inspire you to find a convenient time for all parties should be given, since I am sure everyone on the 99-seat plan has another job.

What you might suggest to the producer in the future, as that a note be put in their actor packet at that a time, to be determined, and within the rules of the plan, a photo call will be scheduled.  I have found in my history, if everything is outlined on the first day, and there are no surprises down the line, a cast can be most accommodating.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:14 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

AshleyR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:46 pm »
Thanks, yes, I have made that suggestion to the producer.  (PS: There is no actor packet unless I create one if I ever SM for these guys again.)

As far as scheduling goes, what I'm getting now is something like this.

"ME: What about this schedule...

1:00-1:45 - Photos (Cast #1)
1:45-2:05 - crew resets
2:05-2:15 - crew break (if we're lucky)
2:15 - cast #1 fight call
2:30 - Cast #2 fight call
2:45 - house opens
3:00 - Go

"DEPUTY:  We propose this...

2:00-2:20 - photos
2:20-2:30 - Cast #1 fight call
2:30..."

I have responded by saying that I don't want to change the fight call times, but that we might be able to shorten the actual photo call period to 1:30-2:00.  It's a multi-play presentation, so I end up running around or in the booth for over three hours, so I really need that break just before 2:15.  I want to accommodate them, and I think I am, it's just the whole notion of actors proposing a schedule for a production they only see one facet of that I am concerned about.  Since this photo call wasn't on the original calendar, but is traditional at this company, I realize we're asking the cast for a favor, but we're getting close to the tail wagging the dog.

Thx
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:48 pm by AshleyR »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:17 am »
I think this is delicate issue on this agreement, since there are no specific photo call rules in the agreement.   Sadly.

I would try to work with the deputy . . . you are in odd territory, since there is usually (on some contracts) not allowed to rehearse or any work call, prior to a show call, without a full meal break in between the work call and the show call without cast voting on it.  (For example the LORT rule for the hour prior to half-hour rehearsal rule.)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:20 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.