Author Topic: Scheduling Actor Haircuts  (Read 4598 times)

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Scheduling Actor Haircuts
« on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:47 am »
In your experience, do haircuts fall under the category of costume fittings when scheduling them for actors?  I fit in a couple of actors during the rehearsal day, so no problem there on the actors' hours for the week.  However I still have a couple of actors that I need to schedule haircuts for, and it would be much easier if I could schedule them outside of rehearsal.  I am curious as to whether that is considered to be part of the 60 minutes of fittings outside of rehearsal that they are allowed each week.  This is the first time I'm running into this because on my past shows the haircuts have either fit into rehearsal or the actor voluntary elected to go get their haircut on their own because they didn't want to use the theatre's stylist (theatre still covered the cost of the haircut, though). 

I am currently working under an AEA COST Tier 1 contract. 

Any insight is appreciated.  (and as always, I know that I can contact my rep for the most definitive answer). 

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
Re: Scheduling Actor Haircuts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2007, 10:11 am »
I usually recommend the hair dresser come during tech and schedule the hair cuts during scenes that particular actors are free.  I do the same for final wig styling.  It might require a little juggling of tech time and sometimes the hair dresser is idle, but it's always been someone who works in theatre a lot and is used to being flexible.

If an actor wants their own stylist to do the cutting or dying, they usually schedule their own appointment, but the costs are covered by the theatre.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:53 am »
Yes, I have always considered these "costume" fittings, and scheduled as per that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:09 pm »
I also consider haircuts as falling under the costume fitting category, and therefore have used the allowable outside-of-rehearsal fittings to get them accomplished.  Since the SPT book groups “clothes and makeup” together, and includes hair notes in that section, too, I’ve always assumed the intention is that “costume” includes hair and make-up as well as clothing.   

....the 60 minutes of fittings outside of rehearsal that they are allowed each week.
60 minutes each week sounds pretty darn useful…in SPT, we’ve only got a total of two costume calls outside of normal rehearsal hours for the whole rehearsal period.  The sessions may be up to two-hours in length, though, so maybe it works out to about the same amount of time in total if you have a short rehearsal period.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2007, 02:08 am by Rebbe »
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:42 pm »
I think that haircuts can be considered as costume fittings under the COST contract rule.  Jessie_K's suggestion is also a good one - I have tried to get the theatre to bring the hair or wig person to the theatre during tech when the cast tends to wait around as we tech scenes they're not in.  This also gets the haircuts done near to the first preview so everybody's looking good when the public sees them.

riotous