Author Topic: REQUIRED # OF STAGE MANGERS--LORT  (Read 4719 times)

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
REQUIRED # OF STAGE MANGERS--LORT
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:37 pm »
There is a theatre in my city that produces works in two separate spaces and each space is on a different LORT contract. The main stage is a LORT C and the 2nd stage is a LORT D. In my experience with this theatre, there has only been  one AEA stage manager employed on each production regardless of whether that production was done on the main stage or at the 2nd stage.  This theatre is moving up to a LORT B status next season (I think the main stage is moving to LORT B and the 2nd stage is moving to LORT C). Apparently the main stage is required to have an AEA ASM for each production they do. I couldn't find the specifics of this in the LORT contract but I am curious about how many stage managers are required for a production depending on what tier of LORT the theatre uses. All I know is that if the theatre mounts a musical, I believe there has to be an Equity ASM. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you!!

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: REQUIRED # OF STAGE MANGERS--LORT
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31 pm »
Rule 63B. 

(Sorry for the short answer but running out the door)

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:45 pm »
I have slightly more time (I'm almost ready for bed), but the only rulebook I can find dates from 2008. I have no idea which rulebook is appropriate from this page (http://actorsequity.org/library/library.asp?cat=3), but this book (http://actorsequity.org/docs/rulebooks/LORT_Rulebook_05-08.pdf) states:

Rule 63. STAGE MANAGERS AND ASSISTANT STAGE MANAGERS
(B) Assistant Stage Managers.

(1) An Assistant Stage Manager is the individual who is assigned to assist the Stage
Manager(s) on a specific production or productions. An Assistant Stage Manager may
not be assigned the primary responsibility for a production. No Actor already under
contract may be assigned as Assistant Stage Manager in the same production. The
first Assistant Stage Manager may not act.

(2) In all Theatre categories, each required Assistant Stage Manager shall be engaged
and receive contractual salary beginning at least two days prior to the first day of
rehearsal for each production of the season unless already under contract.

(3) A replacement Assistant Stage Manager may be engaged on a one-week contract.

(4) “A” Category. There shall be at least one first Assistant Stage Manager in each
company, and in addition to the Stage Manager, each production must be assigned an
Assistant Stage Manager who shall be responsible for and perform the Assistant
Stage Managerial functions. If an “A” Theatre performs in Repertory, at least two first
Assistant Stage Managers must be employed.

(5) “B+” and “B” Categories. In addition to the Stage Manager, there shall be at least
one first Assistant Stage Manager in each company. Each production must be
assigned an Assistant Stage Manager who shall be responsible for and perform the
assistant stage managerial functions. When more than one production is in rehearsal
and/or performance, the stage managerial staff shall be, at the Theatre’s option, either
two Stage Managers or one Stage Manager and two Assistant Stage Managers. If the
Theatre does not hire a second Assistant Stage Manager, the first Assistant Stage
Manager shall assume the stage managerial duties and shall be contracted by rider as
Stage Manager for that period. Should the Theatre choose the option of two Stage
Managers, each may be assigned as Assistant Stage Manager for the other
production.

(6) “C” Category. In addition to the Stage Manager, each Chorus musical production
must be assigned an Assistant Stage Manager who shall be responsible for and
perform only the Assistant Stage Managerial functions. This provision shall expire
February 28, 2009.
In non-Repertory Companies, when there are individual Stage Managers for each
production, no Assistant Stage Manager shall be required. However, when more than
one production is in rehearsal and/or performance, there shall be, at the Theatre’s
option, either two Stage Managers or one Stage Manager and two Assistant Stage
Managers. If the Theatre does not hire a second Assistant Stage Manager, the first
Assistant Stage Manager shall assume the Stage Managerial duties and shall be
contracted by rider as Stage Manager for that period. If a “C” Theatre is performing in
Repertory, at least two Stage Managers shall be employed.

(7) “D” Category. In addition to the Stage Manager, each Chorus Musical production
must be assigned an Assistant Stage Manager who shall be responsible for and
perform only the Assistant Stage Managerial functions. This provision shall expire
February 28, 2009.

In non-Repertory Companies, when there are individual Stage Managers for each
production, no Assistant Stage Manager shall be required. However, when there is
only one Stage Manager and there is one show in rehearsal and one show in
performance during a given week, an Assistant Stage Manager shall be required. If a
“D” Theatre is performing in Repertory, at least two Stage Managers shall be
employed.

I hope that helps?

C (A very wary Brit, who feels very out of his depth with AEA things...)

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:42 pm »
How did I miss that? Thank you!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32 am »
But, know this part of the rule . . .

When more than one production is in rehearsal
and/or performance, the stage managerial staff shall be, at the Theatre’s option, either
two Stage Managers or one Stage Manager and two Assistant Stage Managers. If the
Theatre does not hire a second Assistant Stage Manager, the first Assistant Stage
Manager shall assume the stage managerial duties and shall be contracted by rider as
Stage Manager for that period. Should the Theatre choose the option of two Stage
Managers, each may be assigned as Assistant Stage Manager for the other
production.

There are creative ways of handling the stage management when shows are overlapping that are cost effective . . . I for one, ran a department under a tight budget by using the One SM/two ASMs option from above . . . it's still a third contract, but at a lesser rate.  but, as you can see, they can still get by with just two stage managers, with the additional assignment of ASM for the other show, without additional compensation.  How fun is that?  (not great coverage, depending on the needs of the shows, but can help out in a tight financial picture.)

Also, there is always some touchy reading of the rules when you are cross the B/B+ and the C line between two theaters . . .

Also, note, that sometimes when a theater bumps up a category, there maybe concessions in the works to help deal with pain of the additional financial demands.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:00 am »
Thanks Matthew - as always, spot on!
The LORT contract has just been ratified by the membership so watch the website for additional news and info.
Ordo ab chao

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:52 am »
(someday I will work LORT again ...)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12 pm »
(me too.....)