Author Topic: Reports  (Read 6052 times)

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Reports
« on: Apr 04, 2011, 05:35 pm »
Do you keep copies of the reports you or the Deputy file with AEA?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Reports
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2011, 05:39 pm »
Like in my book?

No.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2011, 09:52 pm »
I would keep a copy of an accident report or video recording forms or deputy election form, just on the off chance they get lost in the mail.  I let the deputy do their own thing, and have never worked on a contract where I needed to file regular reports.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2011, 05:14 am »
I keep a copy of everything.
Just to CMA (cover my ass)...
Ordo ab chao

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2011, 11:03 pm »
On the rare occasions I file a report with Equity, I will keep a copy in the show file.  I do not keep (or even look at) any Deputy reports, that's their job.  Needless to say, I keep copies of all the rehearsal and performance reports.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:28 pm »
We're considering instituting a policy of all Deputy & SM paperwork that is sent to AEA passing through the Company Manager on it's way out in the mail-- so the company manager has a copy of all video riders, accident reports- etc...

(we've had a couple of accident reports get lost in the Chicago office's move- they showed up 4 MONTHS later!)

However- what about safe & sanitary reports and other paperwork that could potentially reflect poorly on the theater? Would the Deputy be less like to be 100% honest knowing that theater staff could potentially see their comments? I think probably yes~

Please weigh in!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:50 pm »
No, no, no, no, no, no . . .

Any communication that is deputy or SM to the union SHOULD NOT pass through the company manager NOR any member of the theater management.

Yes, a company manager might stop a report that would result in a fine. 

And there might be some sort of paypack, if there is an actor who tends to speak up about issues.

I don't like to keep a copy of the forms, such as accident reports, etc - for a variety of confidentially issues - having multiple copies makes it harder to control the confidentially of all of them.

Also, having had my book brought into two legal issues - I prefer to not have such items under my control when they are obviously better under the control of other departments - or the union directly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:53 pm »
I totally totally agree w Matthew - the deputy and SM paperwork that goes to AEA should not be shared outside the union, the deputy/SM need to be able to be completely honest and not worry abt their careers by reporting things (hey, it's hard enough getting someone to volunteer as deputy, eh?). But the accidents reported by the deputy to AEA should also have been in the SMs nightly show report, to be followed up with the Company Manager, not discovered because of a report to AEA. That is an in-house breakdown in communication that needs to be fixed.

As to video riders, those go to producers/company managers as well as AEA, so they shd have copies in their files (after all, we sign 4 copies, two to producers, one to AEA and one to personal records). I can't think of any circumstance when paperwork sent by the deputy or the SM directly to AEA should be accessed by the theater company.