Author Topic: Reporting violations  (Read 7747 times)

juliz1106

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: TYA Stage Manager, Marriott Theatre Lincolnshire
  • Experience: Professional
Reporting violations
« on: Sep 17, 2004, 01:10 am »
I've never had this happen before, and I'm kind of at a loss.  I know we all do this for the love of theatre, and all of us have "let things slide" in order to get the show up at least once or twice.  This is especially true of smaller equity houses.

But this is ridiculous.

There are violations aplenty on this particular show, and all of them are because of the producing organization, and, namely, the producer himself.  At first, there was good faith that these small things would get fixed, so I "let things slide" in the beginning.  Now the "good" faith is gone, and we must count on ourselves to get the job done, which forces us to violate our own rules so that the show will happen (actors doing their own laundry, myself and other actors finding props and repairing set pieces for safety purposes, etc.).  Basically, I have come to believe that this company should never have been granted the right to use AEA contracts, because they clearly are nowhere near AEA-caliber.

So, my question is, when and how do I report these violations to the union?  And how do I do so without reporting our own personal violations as actors and SM?  And this may sound stupid, but my SM weekly report only allows me to report violations for actors, why isn't there a form for producer violations?  Because that's what I need!  Any advice for how to blow the whistle here without hurting myself or my actors in the process?

akearson

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Reporting violations
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2004, 01:28 pm »
You can start by no longer violating the rules. There is nothing more motivating to a producer than to have the show not to go on. I would discuss the issue with your deputy and come to an agreement whereby you no longer perform the show if the laundry is not done and the set is unsafe.  Then call or have your deputy call and report the violations to your AEA business rep. Don't be concerned that you will be chided for breaking the rules. They are there to help you.

Good luck.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Where Do I Draw the Line? RIGHT HERE - RIGHT NOW
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2004, 01:38 am »
Call your Business Rep IMMEDIATELY.

The Producer and Equity have entered into an agreement, a binding contract, and it is not your place to decide which rules are enforced or which situations you will or will not abide by.

This is the work of the Union.

Violations of Safe and Sanitary conditions are unacceptable and dangerous and must be reported IMMEDIATELY.
Ordo ab chao

nmno

Reporting violations
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2004, 09:02 pm »
Not to sound too "Dr. Phil" but we teach people how to treat us... In your efforts prove the adage that "the show must go on" you've told the producer they don't need to solve to problem.

Is it that they are just disorganized -  good people who just can't seem to get their act together...  Maybe they need a reminder that they are breaking rules; that it will take a threat of Equity action to make these issues a higher priority.  However, if they are purposefully neglecting things to save money or because they are lazy, really your only option it to call equity.

empresscallipygos

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Reporting violations
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2005, 02:29 pm »
I'm in a similar situation - except the biggest violation didn't come to light until after the fact.  It was, however, the one that directly affected me.

I'm going to make a VERY, very long story short, and I also can't say too much about it anyway -- but, the biggest violation was the producer failing to cover the rehearsal period under the worker's compensation insurance.  And the only reason anyone found that out was -- someone did actually get hurt.

Me.

I had to leave the project, and the producer did pay my medical bills...for about two months.  Then he just stopped, even though I was still being treated.

Equity has called a lawyer for me.  I am waiting until I know that that matter has been sorted out before I go to Equity and tell them everything else that went on (I don't want to go yet, for fear that it holds up my doctor getting paid even longer).

This is all very much after the fact -- this is a show that was happening in the summer of 2004.  But, I definitely intend to tell Equity anyway -- even if it's only as a "just so you know to keep an eye on this guy next time" kind of thing.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Reporting violations
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2005, 08:18 pm »
First ~ Welcome to the site!

Second ~ I'm sorry that you are in this situation. I am sure that Equity will do everything in it's power to rectify it. Please keep me personally informed (via personal messages) with the outcome of this situation as I am a Councilor with the Union and know almost everyone you may be dealing with and could possibley lend a hand...

Third ~ Thank you for letting Equity know ALL about your adventures. Without first-hand knowledge, Equity can do very little to right the wrongs and affect positive growth and change.
Ordo ab chao

riotous