Author Topic: Rehearsal Shoes  (Read 4686 times)

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Rehearsal Shoes
« on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:10 pm »
Hello all!

I'm working an SPT contract, and an actress asked me today about her provided rehearsal shoes. We are not doing a musical. It's a period piece (Victorian) so the shoes are period, I grant you, but the rest of the cast seems just fine wearing their own character shoes.

I just searched thru my rule book, and the closest piece of information I could find was 13-A:
"...Additionally, the Producer shall furnish all Actors with footwear, including properly fitted shoes, tights, hoes, and stocking."

But is that for rehearsals, too, or just performances? Thanks for any input on this!
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Rehearsal Shoes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:39 pm »
I have often had actors request or be provided with rehearsal shoes for SPT non-musicals.  For some it helps them get into character.  For others they want to figure out if the shoes will effect their blocking (someone in 3 inch heels moves differently that in sandals).  I would contact the costume designer and see if they have the show shoes available for you yet, or could give you a similar style, in terms of height and heaviness if not color or fashion.   

The rulebook does not seem to specify when this shoe rule is in effect, but since it says they will be provided, I read that to mean it’s for the production, not just for the performance.    Whether all or only one actor makes this request shouldn’t impact whether they are provided for those who want or need them.  Sometimes I’ve had to tell an actor we are not yet sure about the shoes, or the designer does not have anything similar at this time.  In those cases it may help to ensure the shoes will be available by first tech so they have stage time with them.  I’ve also had actors bring in a pair of their own that is similar to the proposed show shoe, and leave them in rehearsals to use.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:31 pm »
I've never interpreted the rule to mean that shoes must be provided for rehearsals, since it doesn't specifically say that, but if the shoes are available I'll ask for them. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Some of the SPT theatres have something in stock that can be used, but not all theatres keep a costume stock (or have a costume shop for that matter), and if the shop and/or designer doesn't have anything available, the actors have to wait until the real shoes are available (which is often not until tech begins).

That said, if someone asks for shoes, I'm happy to ask for either the real shoes (if the powers that be are okay with them being used in rehearsal) or a rehearsal pair. It's something that is very important to certain actors, and they are usually grateful if you can provide something for them to use.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:08 pm »
Thanks to you both!

That's basically how I interpreted it -- not required, but awesome if it's possible, so I should ask the designer.

Thanks again!
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim