Author Topic: Question about EMC  (Read 5090 times)

twoheadedboy85

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Question about EMC
« on: Sep 27, 2007, 05:22 am »
I just signed a non-equity contract with an SPT2 theatre as an ASM. Since its a non equity contract, would I still be eligible for EMC points, or do I have to sign an actual equity contract before I could start getting equity points?

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Question about EMC
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:32 pm »
You don't have to sign an actual Equity contract. If you did, then you'd skip EMC points and just be Equity. EMC points is a way to earn the points to in order to Become Equity, although many people only partially complete their EMC points before they are signed onto an Equity contract.

Equity has a list of theaters that have participated in the EMC program in the last 18 months: http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/emc/Emc_Theatre_List.pdf, but says that you should check with your theater to see if the program is still in effect.

Main Equity EMC page: http://www.actorsequity.org/membership/emc.asp

P.S. Welcome to SMN!
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2007, 12:35 pm by lauria »

JDL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2010, 07:35 pm »
EMCs can attend EPAs, but can EMCs apply for Equity ASM jobs?
AlL tHe WoRlD's A sTaGe... AnD i'M oFf BoOk!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2010, 07:47 pm »
EMCs can attend EPAs, but can EMCs apply for Equity ASM jobs?

I was an EMC (about 16 credits in) when I signed an Equity SM contract. Your EMC fee goes towards your AEA fee. I was invited into the project and didn't apply, but I don't see why you couldn't.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2010, 08:05 pm »
Anybody can submit their resume for an Equity ASM position if it's being posted.  If you are not already a member and whoever is doing the hiring feels you are right for the position they can offer you the Equity contract, thus giving you the opportunity to join the union.

riotous