Author Topic: Possibilities of SM / ASM staying on if show get picked up?  (Read 2736 times)

phfowol

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Hypothetical question:
If you are the SM or ASM on a show (AEA Mini contract) and the show gets moved to Off - Broadway or Broadway, what are the chances the SM / ASM will be able to stay with the show? I've read Rule 67(J) in the Production Rulebook, not sure if I qualify since many of my weeks have been worked under the Guest Artist Contract (references Off-Bway rules).

Anyone have any experience with this situation?
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2011, 04:13 pm by Rebbe »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.  -Confucious

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Possibilities of SM / ASM staying on if show get picked up?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:35 pm »
That's a good question.

Regardless of the rules the chances boil to the following:

1) Do you have a contract with future rights or rights of first refusal attached?
2) Does the director like you? Does the director think you are the right person for the shepherd the production?
3) Does the producer like you?  Do they the think you are the right person for the job?
4) Does the GM like you?

If the show is going to Off-Broadway (commercial or non-commercial run), there is no "experience" rule hinged on that. 

If the show is going to Broadway, then there is the 67(J) Rule . . .
(J) In order to maintain the high level of professionalism in production as well as the necessary backstage safety and discipline for the efficient running of the production, the Producer agrees to hire as the Stage Manager only someone who has been employed previously for at least 20 weeks or in three separate productions as the Stage Manager, or 40 weeks or in six separate productions as an Assistant Stage Manager, or a combination of these (two weeks or two productions as an Assistant Stage Manager equals one week or one production as the Stage Manager) by an employer or employers maintaining professional standards at least equal to those maintained by theatrical employers who are members of The Broadway League, the League of Resident Theatres, the League of Off-Broadway Producers, The Council of Stock Theatres, the Council of Resident Stock Theatres, the Musical Theatre Association, Producers' League of Theatre for Young Audiences, the Producers’ Association of Chicago Area Theatres and URTA.

NOW . . . remember, if you are the SM, and the show moves up to Broadway, and you don't qualify, there is always the push for you to be the ASM.

But remember, if they don't like you there is ALWAYS some way to get you of the contract  - buy you out, fire you before the transfer, etc, etc . . . there are lots of ways to work around the rules.

So, you are asking about the chances of you would get to the stay with the show, it all depends ........... NYC is filled with stories with SMs who have ridden their shows to the top, and also with SMs who got kicked out the show got "bigger".  Interesting, there are also stories of SMs who rode their shows up . . . but soon realized (or it was realized) they couldn't handle the larger version of the production. 

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2011, 04:38 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

phfowol

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:02 pm »
Thanks for your response - It's still a hypothetical situation, but never hurts to look to the future, right? I'm the ASM.

Regarding your bullet points:

1) Yes - Future rights are included in the Mini contract I signed.
2) Yep - He appreciates that I'm just about as anal as he is.
3) Fairly certain I can say "Yes" to this - I've worked for this company a few times.
4) Yep.

I'm extremely happy as ASM for this show - terrific cast and show. If it does move, i'd like nothing better than to have the opportunity to stay ASM and get the chance to work in a bigger house than I have before and under, hopefully, a PSM that can show me the ropes of working in a larger venue and on a OB/Production contract - Don't think I'm quite ready to handle PSMing something that big yet - I'm fairly confident I could make it happen, just not as smoothly as I or the company would like.

The 67(J) rule is just for PSM on production contract, right? Sounds like it...If Guest Artist Contracts count, i'd qualify.

Thanks again for your response - Perhaps i'll be updating this thread with news in the future!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.  -Confucious

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:45 pm »
What sometimes happens in the transfer of a show form a smaller venue to a larger venue, and one where more money is on the line, they will take the opportunity to shake up the SM team - it's nothing personal, but with lots (and millions if it is a Broadway show) on the line, people just want to make sure they are lining up the best talent in the key positions,.

I have seen designers swapped out, I have seen directors swapped out, I have seen PSMs, let go and replaced.  Sometimes the PSM may get moved fown to ASM, and then then ASM moves to second (in the case of a musical).

Again, it's all up in the air - until the contract is signed.  Best of luck to you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous