Author Topic: Opera pay..  (Read 5248 times)

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Opera pay..
« on: Mar 31, 2007, 03:43 am »
If you have worked in opera, as an ASM or an SM, where and how much were you paid?

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Opera pay..
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2007, 09:34 am »
Pay in opera varies widely, depending mostly on the size of the company. That being said, opera usually pays pretty well comparably, because shows are intense but short (often 3-weeks of rehearsal and a much shorter run than plays/musicals).

Most first- and second-tier opera companies are AGMA, and you will be paid according to the union rates.
If your opera company is not AGMA, your pay can vary a whole lot. Sometimes there is a big difference between PSM and ASM pay, and other times the pay is closer together.

I know this is really vague, but there isn't a standard answer for opera pay. I'll PM you and we can discuss specifics!

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:18 am »
Hey, all, sorry to ressurect a thread from the far distant past, but I could use a bit of advice, and there was, already a pertinent thread. 
I just got offered an ASM gig for a great opera company that I'm really excited about.  The SM really wants me, and wants my contract "signed and sealed" by the end of next week.  I'm supposed to talk with the Production Manager over the next few days about pay scale.  Before my interview with the SM, he mentioned $X sum, but it was a little less than I can take, and still make sure my bills are covered.  I realize it will be a lump payment at the end of the run, and I do have the Emergency Fund to cover my bills in the meantime, but 'll need to replenish it, and $X won't do it.
I was just wondering if anyone would be able/willing to tell me what they've been paid in the past for an ASM position in a "brand name" Opera Company?  If you don't feel comfortable putting it in public, would you be willing to PM me (soon, please,  I'm supposed to e-mail him this evening) and letting me know privately?  What I need to cover bills and gas is not too much more than $X, but we're talking strictly bills and gas; no stopover for a hamburger on the way home from a 12 hour rehearsal, not even enough spare to buy a bottle of shampoo.  If I have an idea of what other ASMs have been paid, I'll be better informed as to what sort of counter offer I can make.
Thanks so much, everyone!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:10 am »
Regardless of what other people have been paid, what you need to be paid is a set amount.

It might be nice to know what other people are paid as sort of a back-up, but in reality, you shouldn't be taking a job that doesn't cover your financial nut.

(Unless you are doing it as career development, and have some way to make additional funds).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BlantonRK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Glimmerglass Opera
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:52 pm »
Check out the opera agreements on the AGMA website for some ideas of pay range. Only compare your offer with the listed pay for an equivalent size company.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:42 pm »
Blanton, I won't be AGMA, but that's an excellent suggestion, thanks!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

riotous