Author Topic: Non-AEA PA pay for tech?  (Read 3602 times)

pandora12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Non-AEA PA pay for tech?
« on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:03 pm »
Any of the current or former non-equity Production Assistants's out there ever get a tech-bump or additional pay to compensate for the extra hours worked during tech and previews? I know it's part of the Equity contract, but the PA is putting in all the extra hours as their union coworkers but without additional pay.  (This would apply to PA's that are paid weekly rather than hourly).  Thanks, wondering how some other companies address it.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
Re: Non-AEA PA pay for tech?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2013, 12:26 am »
I work as a non equity ASM and have never received a bump for tech. My contracts are clear and negotiated so that the only bumps I ever get are ones for added shows. I have worked for separate weekly rates for rehearsals vs. show weeks, but tech has always been lumped into rehearsals.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2013, 01:27 am »
Nope not when paid weekly, for hourly companies obviously yes, depending on the environment my only suggestion would be to negotiate it into the contract...
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:08 am »
The weekly pay of PA's does not typically have a legal leg to stand on, and although I am sure laws very by states to state, but there are typical labor laws that do stand.

No, regardless of the legality of the weekly versus hourly, PA's don't get the bump usually (although you could always negotiate it).  Interesting, Actors don't get the bump either.  So, you aren't the only ones left out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:16 am »
No, I haven't seen a tech bump for non-AEA PAs paid weekly.The thought at some companies is that if you are paid weekly, you end up working more during rehearsals and tech, but usually less hours during performance weeks, so things even out (at least somewhat) in the long run.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:05 pm »
Stage Management interns at Centerstage get a tech bump... this is clearly not the norm, and it's the only company I've worked for that did that for non-AEA people. Most of my PA and non-AEA ASM contracts have been on a stipend paid in equal installments, not a weekly amount.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:33 pm »
Never in my experience. as stated already, there are exceptions to the rule but I'd say the rule is no bump outside of the union.

My understanding of the PA was to be low level but gain experience and that is your payment.....kinda like being a college athlete. You work your tail off, and your reward is the experience and the memories you take with you instead of something worth while..........like money.

riotous