Author Topic: New SPT Agreement  (Read 3542 times)

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
New SPT Agreement
« on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:46 pm »
I'm a rather new member of AEA, so please forgive me if this sounds like a silly question...

Since the current SPT agreement is up at the beginning of June of this year when will the new SPT agreement come out?

Also, since SPT is not an association like LORT. RMTA, The League, etc. How does that agreement get negotiated? Do theatres currently on an SPT agreement have any input?

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: New SPT Agreement
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2009, 02:14 pm »
I'm bringing this topic back up to the top because I'd also like an answer to SMJorge's question. Was the SPT a promulgated agreement, or was it negotiated?  Is it still in use?

My main question is, how is an individual producer's category determined? I don't see any rules about that in the SPT.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

stancial

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, IBT
  • Experience: Professional
Re: New SPT Agreement
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2009, 04:16 pm »
The SPT is promulgated, not negotiated, since, as was pointed out, there is no producer organization with which to negotiate.  It is indeed in use - a great deal!  According to the 07-08 annual report, SPT contracts accounted for over 29,000 work weeks, making it Equity's third most used agreement.

It runs from June through May every year.  Equity again extended the current agreement this year. essentially freezing the minimum salaries (a few had to be slightly increased to meet some state minimum wage laws).  My experience is that Equity welcomes suggestions from producers as to changes in the agreement, although they are under no obligation to agree to those suggestions.

The producer's category is based on the number of performances per week, and then by how many hours per week the producer wants to rehearse.  For example, a theatre that programs four performances per week can use Category One, Two or Three, allowing them to  rehearse up to 22, 26 or 30 hours per week respectively, with the minimum salary increasing accordingly.

riotous