Author Topic: MRE  (Read 9781 times)

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
MRE
« on: Aug 30, 2006, 11:02 pm »
Has anyone ever used the MRE clause of the equity contract? Does it even apply to SMs? I think it does but I am not sure. If you have used it. How long were you away and how did it go over?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: MRE
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2006, 11:26 pm »
I have never worked a contract where there was a MRE, but I would assume if the rule applies to the actor, it would apply to th stage manager.

Which contracts are in on?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2006, 12:20 am »
Which contract are you working? Most MREs have very specific rules, and there are rarely issues when they factor in things like star talent and/or pre-existing conflicts. And auditions don't count. I have had directors very supportive of MRE clauses for certain things and not for others.....

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2006, 12:22 am by loebtmc »

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2006, 01:36 pm »
I worked on an SPT that had an MRE. (wow. Sounds like I'm speaking another language there)

I did have an actress use the MRE clause to go work on a film for a few days. Bottom line is that if you found work that will pay you more than your contract and it's not before a public performance (not sure as to how many days) you can do it.  I also think it can apply to stage managers as well.

Read the rulebook carefully. If still confused, call the Equity Rep.

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2006, 02:40 pm »
I am on an SPT.

The rule says something to the effect that any Actor can can use that clause as long as they are not getting paid more than they would be if on a LORT contract. It has a specification that it can't be used a week before the first public performance and 2 days after it, or something. Since it does not specifically say it doesn't apply to SMs, the term Actor refers to any equity member covered under that contract.

I'll have to check whether or not it applies to SMs and report back.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2006, 03:35 pm »
I personally have never taken MRE days, but I do know that the rule also applies to stage managers on some if not all contracts that have a MRE clause.  One of the theaters I have worked with which uses an LOA (ref. Off-B'way) has had one of their stage managers take a few days off during the run for other employment.  She missed 4 or 5 days during the 2 month run of the show.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2006, 07:39 pm »
I worked an SPT show where the Equity ASM left the show permanently for MRE as an Actor in a production at another theater (he was actually taking over for an actor who had to leave that show).   As I remember it, the outgoing-ASM was training the take-over ASM during the first part of Tech Week, and the take-over was running the show for all or most of Previews. 

The transition went smoothly, in part because the PSMs of both productions were friends, so there was good communication about where the outgoing ASM would be on a given day, and our production was given priority since we were opening sooner.  Also the incoming-ASM had worked under our PSM before, so there was as little anxiety as possible about how The New Kid would fare.  Even though it seemed like everyone understood the ASMs motivation for leaving, and weren’t personally angry, it unavoidably added stress to the production process.  I’m not sure how the producers felt about the situation, as far as whether they would be willing to hire ASM 1 again.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

nmno

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2006, 02:43 am »
Not to be dense but... what does MRE stand for (all I think of when i see that is "meals ready to eat" but that is clearly not what we are talking about.)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2006, 08:16 am »
More remunerative employment

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2006, 03:03 am »
In theory, it's supposed to be only for other industry-related work. The idea is that the actor is agreeing to a compromise - accepting an LOA, referenced contract rather than a full contract,  or accepting a far lower salary, to benefit the producer/theater, and in return the actor may take other, better paying work concurrently - as long as it isn't in the week before opening or a handful of other restrictions, including proper and timely notice to the producer

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:32 pm »
It was my understanding that unless the Rule book specifically named Stage Managers separately, the term "Actor" applied to both.  It's just like in any contract where it states that "So and So" will hereby be referred to as "So and So".  Or am I completely mistaken?

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2006, 09:21 am »
It was my understanding that unless the Rule book specifically named Stage Managers separately, the term "Actor" applied to both.  It's just like in any contract where it states that "So and So" will hereby be referred to as "So and So".  Or am I completely mistaken?

You are not mistaken.

(But, as always, best to check with Equity if you have any specific questions about a specific contract...)

riotous