Author Topic: MRE under Off-Broadway Contract  (Read 4849 times)

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
MRE under Off-Broadway Contract
« on: Nov 11, 2010, 12:36 am »
I know MRE (more renumerative employment) has been discussed in the past, but I discovered something off-putting in a recent reading of the Off-Broadway rulebook that I wanted to share / discuss with the boards:

Under the Off-Broadway contract, the MRE clause can be invoked 12 weeks from the first day of rehearsal (see pg 42, rule 39D).   Presumably, if a show doesn't run long enough to reach that 12 week mark, than MRE can not be invoked at all in that production.

I checked a couple of the other contracts with MRE (SPT & HAT), and Off-Broadway is the only one I found with this limitation.  In my mind, this rule is really tilted in the favor of the producers.  A lot of Off-Broadway companies simply don't have runs that exceed 5-7 weeks, so there's never even a chance to get near that 12 week mark where an MRE could be legitimately claimed.   In fact, I venture to guess (with no data to back this up) that category A, with the lowest salary and therefore the highest potential use of MRE, rarely breaks that ceiling.  And remember, this also applies to any (even lower-paying) NYC-LOAs floating out there.  Sidenote: the Mini contract seems to allow for MRE more in line with the SPT / HAT model.

This limitation does not seem to acknowledge the financial & salary limitations Equity members are willing to make in order to work in NYC.  The MRE clause had, to me, always seems like a nice little trick to keep in my back pocket to use "one day".  Now I'm doubtful it could apply to the work I do.   And I'm not ignoring the implications for a producing entity if an actor were allowed to claim MRE in limited runs - cost of understudy rehearsals, show cancellations, possibly screwing up preview rehearsals in new works.  I get all that.   But in this case, I sort of feel like Equity is helping the other side.  Thoughts?

Anyone have a sense of if the rule has always been written this way or if its a recent change?  This is one I'm tempted to write into the Council about for the next round of negotiations.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: MRE under Off-Broadway Contract
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2010, 02:09 am »
Those in the East can answer your question far better than I can, since I have never worked Off-B'way. But it seems to me that this is a perfect opportunity to get involved in the committee responsible for this contract and not only find out why this odd rule exists, but be instrumental in changing it!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:23 am »
Yes, you should contact AEA and express your concerns, but from a producers' stand point - and the show's - the 12 weeks until the MRE option can kick in allows the show to rehearse, tech, preview and open and then train subs and understudies.  As a SM, do you want to replace an actor for a MRE the day after opening?

Is the rule tipped in favor of the producers? - maybe, you could also argue that it is in favor of the show.  But, let us be honest, not all rules read as fair - it's an agreement after long negotiations - there are rules that the producer asks for, there are rules the actors ask for, etc, etc - and everything is a compromise.

(Also note, MRE is not even available on the off-Broadway conduct for the top tier contracts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:44 am »
Write to the Off-Broadway Business Representative, and make this suggestion for the Off-Broadway Committee to consider, prior to the next round of negotiations. That is the proper hierarchy of communications for this issue.

Better still, fill out a committee application and join the Off-Broadway Committee (first as an observer, later, possibly, as a member) and make your case in person.  That way, you'll find out the institutional history of the rule first-hand, and hear arguments both for and against your idea.

One thing I've learned from my years of AEA committee work, is that an issue that might seem clearly black and white to me, is a host of other colors to each individual in the room, and the debate that ensues is highly educational, informational, and illuminating. It might even change your mind!

<snip>
 This is one I'm tempted to write into the Council about for the next round of negotiations.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

riotous