Author Topic: Lunch/Dinner Breaks and First Rehearsal  (Read 10962 times)

TheatreChick

Lunch/Dinner Breaks and First Rehearsal
« on: Aug 19, 2004, 06:27 pm »
I work for a theatre under a SPT-9 agreement. For my category we are only allowed to rehearse 7 out of 8 and 1/2 hours.  All of the schedule blocks are 8 hours long, with an hour for dinner. This may seem silly, but do I have to schedule an hour and a half dinner during an 8 hour day? Or make the day 8 and 1/2 hours with a 1 and 1/2 break? Or  can I schedule 7 hours of work with an hour break? That is how the schedule has always been done here, but is there a vote that has to take place by the actors to ok it?

Also, this being my first equity show, I've never been present in the room when the deputy election takes place. Do you really read the deputy election form out loud before you ask for volunteers or hold the election (if necessary)? And what else happens during that time? (I've heard food/drinks/entertainment shows up.) While I'm here I might as well ask this too: what does everyone else put in their actor packets? Thanx-A.

SM_Art

that's why we're here...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2004, 08:35 pm »
7 out of 8 1/2 means... a MAXIMUM of 7 hours out of a maximum 8 1/2 hours.  If you only need an hour lunch, it's 7 out of 8, which is within your boundaries.  (Some places may be located where an hour for lunch isn't enough time for travel and a meal break.)
Deputy elections are different everywhere... but I've never seen food and drink show up - I want to work in THAT theatre!  It's always best to get a volunteer for deputy, because if someone doesn't want to do it, they probably won't, and that won't help anyone.  On a contract like SPT (Small Professional Theatre for those who were wondering) you may have no problems... or a LOT, so having someone who is truly willing is a great idea.  To be honest, I've never been on a show where there wasn't a volunteer, so it's never been an issue for me, but as I said, it's different everywhere.  Let me know how it goes for you.
Art

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Lunch/Dinner Breaks and First Rehearsal
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2004, 02:34 pm »
No, I've never had to read the Deputy form, and I usually start by saying, first off does anyone volunteer to be Deputy, or nominate someone else.  And then usually someone speaks up.  Lately it's been to nominate someone else.......one time it was the newest member of Equity, so they'd learn the rules.  Wasn't necessarily the best idea, but it was a thought.  Or there's often someone who will absolutely do it.  Or during summer stock, we'd often rotate it to whoever had the lesser role for that particular show.

I also make little ballots up ahead of time.  For LORT, we have to vote whether it's okay to have a "straight-6" day, an hour instead of hour and a half lunch, and an archival video.  Mine simply says "6 hour day okay?  Yes No, Hour Lunch Okay?  Yes No, and "Archival video okay? Yes No".  And during the meeting I mention why it's being asked of them.  

This last show, which started rehearsals on Tuesday, I managed to cover ALL of my actor stuff, including things to know about the rehearsal hall, etc.  in about 15 minutes.  And there is always that funny line about stage managers who have to run meetings they were never at before Equity.  I've started lately to ask if they mind if my non-Equity assistant is there to learn the "exciting" process of Equity meetings, and usually no one objects.  And the non-Eq goes "that was it?"  ;)

riotous