Author Topic: LORT contract negotiations  (Read 5924 times)

akearson

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
LORT contract negotiations
« on: Oct 13, 2004, 10:47 pm »
My PM just got back from the LORT conference and said that chances are pretty good that we will get at most a 2% raise in the upcoming contract negotiations. More importantly, LORT is asking for the requirement for an ASM on the B contract to be done away with. Has anyone else heard anything along these lines? This would be a significant loss of work for us.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2004, 01:40 pm »
Grrrr.  I've been hoping for them to ADD needing an ASM on the C contract.  Actually, I'm probably anti-union for saying this, but I just want there to be SOME sort of assistant, union or not....I last did a show with 29 people, but because it wasn't a musical, I wasn't required to have any kind of assistance.  Luckily, my theatre likes me enough to hire on a production assistant, but I'm not guaranteed her for the rest of the season.  Meanwhile, it IS required of the SPT contract, all levels (at least last I checked).

SM_Art

from within
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2004, 02:21 pm »
If you're union, call your local office and find out who the SM lisason is, or who the chair of the SM committee is, and send them a letter, or call.  those of us who ARE on the committees are always looking for input.

Trust us, we fight hard for ASMs in EVERY situation.  Aside from the fact that we're trying to create more jobs for our members, we know better than anyone when assistants are needed.  These issues ALWAYS come up, and are always fought over, so just hearing that they're asking for its removal doesn't mean we'll let it happen.

Next time you're in this situation, talk to your union actors, too... because the producers believe actors will never be willing to strike or hold up negotiations over a 'stage manager' issue, and if we have the support of actors....

Are you SMA?  If so, call them and see what they're doing to address this as well - we are all after the same thing, y'know... most of the time.

Art

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2004, 03:13 pm »
I have written several concerns to Equity, on the form they give stage managers in the deputy packets for each production.  I am also the secretary of our liaison committee, which is meeting next week, and am soliciting concerns from members-at-large for the upcoming LORT negotiations.  Rest assured, I will re-voice my opinions.  Some seem to be simpler ones to me.....like mentioning in the contract book that any accident should not only be reported to workers comp, but also the deputy form.....I am not the first stage manager I've talked to who didn't realize it for awhile.  Yes, it's in our packet info, but no where in the contract book, and not in our part of the website documents (as it's a deputy thing).  That, and callboard rules are strangely different for different contracts - seems like there should be some standards among contracts.

And I am SMA, hadn't actually thought about going there...duh!

Erin

riotous