Author Topic: List an NDA Show on a Resume?  (Read 14256 times)

SMRey

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
List an NDA Show on a Resume?
« on: Aug 04, 2019, 01:21 am »
Short but sweet -  A high profile show I'm working on has every member of the production sign an NDA. I'd love to list this on my resume, but don't want to do anything that goes against the agreement. Has anyone had this problem? Is there anything preventing you from saying you've worked on the show itself? Any advice would be appreciated. (Please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong spot, thanks!)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
Re: List an NDA Show on a Resume?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2019, 09:53 am »
Read these sections carefully:

Definition of Confidential Information
Exclusions from Confidential Information
Obligations of Receiving Party

If the agreement itself doesn't answer your questions, then ask the party that is holding the information confidential, for a more detailed, plain-English explanation. In other words, ask THEM the question you are asking here, for the actual acccurate answer.

(I am not a lawyer and am NOT giving you legal advice.)

Short but sweet -  A high profile show I'm working on has every member of the production sign an NDA. I'd love to list this on my resume, but don't want to do anything that goes against the agreement. Has anyone had this problem? Is there anything preventing you from saying you've worked on the show itself? Any advice would be appreciated. (Please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong spot, thanks!)
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: List an NDA Show on a Resume?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2019, 07:58 am »
First off, read the NDA carefully.  Most of the work I do is under some form of NDA and most specifically states that the information protected under the NDA is that which is confidential in nature, i.e. not public.

Is the existence of the production public?  Has a program been distributed to the audience (or credits if film) by the production company stating your role?  If both of these are true, the information you'd state on your resume has already been disclosed.

Normal I'm not a lawyer disclaimer, but in general terms NDAs are put in place to protect intellectual property and trade secrets.  Companies spend millions (and sometimes billions) of dollars developing IP and, in the entertainment industry, producing media that deploy that IP to guests.  The NDA is in place to ensure that the owners of the IP control its distribution, and how and when it's seen.  NDAs are not in place to prevent you from listing things on your resume and, provided you do not disclose any information governed by the NDA, you should be fine to list the work on your resume.

Assuming you left on good terms, you can also ask the producing organization how they prefer you to list the work. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

riotous