Author Topic: Lateness Letter/Written Warning  (Read 5655 times)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
Lateness Letter/Written Warning
« on: May 27, 2006, 01:57 pm »
To those of you AEA SM's who have General Managers or Producers who require written warnings to cast members for each and every violation of contract (ie: lateness), so that there is a paper trail, I'd like to ask you, what do you write?  

What is the actual language of the written letter or warning?

And who is it CC'd to (AEA, Deputy, Producer, etc?)

Anything else I should know about documenting violations, with written copies going to the actor?

Thanks,

Ruth
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Lateness Letter/Written Warning
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 07:51 pm »
Written warnings should go to the production manager and 'human resources' if you have a HR department. I would make sure I inlcuded the following information:
  • Date of Offense
  • Time of Call
  • Location of Call
  • Time of Arrival
  • Date that call time was made known (and how)
  • Reason Given/were you notified

Usually in the body of the text I would make note of any penalties or punishments that may occur due to future tardiness.

Something like"

Code: [Select]

To {CAST MEMBER}

When you signed on to the production of {SHOW}, you signed a contract indicating that you would be punctual with regards to call times. We noted however that you arrived late to the {REHEARSAL/PERFORMANCE} on the {DATE} at {LOCATION}.

The time of call was made known on the {DATE}, via {METHOD}, and it was clearly indicated that your call time was {TIME}. You arrived however at {TIME}. This is both a contract violation and a major inconvienience to the company. When confronted with your tardiness, you explained by saying {REASON} - whilst we appreciate that cast members do have a life outside of the theatre, we also believe that you have a responsibility to the company to be on time and notify us ahead of time if the reason of delay is unavoidable.

Whilst at this point in time, no action will be taken, this letter is to advise you that in future the following penalties will apply.

Please ensure that you are punctual in your attendance at future rehearsals, or call the Stage Manager ({YOUR NAME}) on {PHONE NUMBER} if problems arrise.

Regards

{STAGE MANAGER}
Stage Manager
{COMPANY}