Author Topic: LA 99 Seat 10 out of 12 break rules  (Read 3728 times)

Ziggy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
LA 99 Seat 10 out of 12 break rules
« on: Mar 28, 2013, 06:33 pm »
For a 10 out of 12 day, I am under the belief that we take two 1-hour breaks or one 2-hour break IN ADDITION to the shorter 5 and 10 minute breaks.

My producer insists that we only have to take one 1-hour break, and the other hour can be in 15 minute increments. She claims to have called Equity and they confirmed this.

Which is correct?

Edited to add: my Equity office closed early today, which is why I came here. I will call tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 07:46 pm by Ziggy »

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: LA 99 Seat 10 out of 12 break rules
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2013, 09:22 pm »
My understanding without knowing your contract or any other relevant (and potentially helpful) details is your producer is wrong. 2 hours on 10 out of 12 days is norm in my experience.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 09:27 pm by nick_tochelli »

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2013, 10:36 pm »
Agreed with Nick, but I can only speak for other contracts. I didn't see anything specific in the 99 seat. You should call AEA yourself.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2013, 11:56 pm »
Two things -
1) for a 10/12, you can divide the day as you choose - most folks prefer the 2 hr window because the it means the tech folks can make fixes during dinner, but as long as 2 hrs are allotted as breaks, it doesn't matter when they fall (other than, after 5 hrs it's legally required to have a meal break).

2) the 99-seat code does not allow 10/12s. Period.

Ziggy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2013, 01:23 am »
Thank you all. Sorry for the very limited details. This is my first time being on a show for the entire rehearsal process, and the ones I did prior never had days that long.

And thank you especially, loebtmc - I read the 99 seat plan over and over and thought I'd lost it because I didn't see anything. I'm glad you confirmed that its absence means they're not allowed at all.

I've been getting a whole lot of "Well that's how we've always done it here." in response to my objections about breaking Equity rules, and I'm trying to figure out how far to push my point.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2013, 04:05 pm »
Sometimes the way to go, regarding an AEA rule, is to state what you want to do, and then work through the rule book and see if what you want to do snags on anything.  As opposed to reading the rules for what YOU CAN do.

It's a little different with the codes, as they are such a specific set of rules, it's often easier to "forget" about other contract and codes, and start fresh.

But, the code does say "(E) Rehearsals for any member shall not exceed eight (8) hours per day, and  combined weekly rehearsal and performance hours shall not exceed thirty-six (36)
hours per week." 

Now, if the code was subject to overtime, then you could schedule the 10/12 and just pay overtime - sadly, or rightfully so, depending on how you look at it, the 99-Seat Plan does not have any stipulation for overtime.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Ziggy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2013, 08:14 pm »
Thank you, Matthew, I will keep that methodology in mind.

This show has been teaching me a lot!

riotous