Author Topic: Joining the SMA  (Read 5079 times)

acraig07

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT,SMA
Joining the SMA
« on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:08 pm »
I am a sophomore in high school,and i plan to get a degree in stage management when i graduate.I was thinking about joining the SMA,but was not sure which membership category I would fall under.An associate membership is for people who show an intent to pursue a career as a professional stage manager.An affiliate membership is for those who are interested in stage management,but they do not have the same benefits. I do intend on pursuing a career as a professional stage manager, but i do not know if they would consider me qualified to have an associate membership. I really wanted to see if I could take part in the "Operation Observation" program they have,but i do not know if I can participate with an affiliate or associate membership.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Joining the SMA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:47 pm »
I am one of the "theys" who processes the SMA applications.  Let me tell you, I'm trying to phase out the Affiliate level, or else get the board to seriously change it.  The Affiliates get NO access to the Members Only portion (from what I can gather, it was originally intended for theatre companies and production manager-types, etc).  Plus an Associate level is lower priced anyway, $30 a year.  The only difference is that you do have to pay a one-time initiation fee of $25 (which honestly, is what registers in the computer as the thing that lets me issue usernames for the members only portions). 

Also, what area of the country do you live?  There may be more active local groups depending where you are....

PM me for more info if needed.

Erin

riotous