Author Topic: John Connelly resigns as AEA exec director  (Read 6367 times)

nmno

John Connelly resigns as AEA exec director
« on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:44 pm »
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/134930-Connolly-Exits-as-Equitys-Executive-Director-Waaser-Is-Acting-Director

While I'm guessing that his abrupt departure is not so he can go audition (more likely trouble at home - which, absolutely John, make the decision that's right for your family) I *am* frustrated that Equity hasn't alerted their membership about this change, a change that happened LAST week. ("Waaser assumed her new position as of Nov. 23.")  How about at least posting the press release on the AEA website so I'm not learning about this on playbill.com?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: John Connelly resigns as AEA exec director
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:33 am »
I agree - I read abt it in a local internet gossip rag before hearing it from anyone official - what's going on???

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:35 am »
I found out about it the week before Thanksgiving because Area Liaison Chairs were notified and ours passed on the information to the committee.  I was finding it odd that it hadn't been posted on the website.  Like you, nmno,  I think it is too bad that as members we have to find out about it on Playbill.com.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2009, 01:07 pm »
Mr. Connolly's departure from AEA needed the grace and dignity of a jointly designed press release. The Liasion Chairs and anyone else who spread the information before the official press release were insensitive and wrong in doing so. This is a man's livelihood and reputation and deserves the respect of ALL involved.
Ordo ab chao

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2009, 01:09 pm »
I think this smacks of a leak somewhere, given the holiday and so-forth, I am sure the union was planning on making it public in a timely manner.

** It is on the AEA website now; it could also have been a delay to get the Webmaster to get it up on the website.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2009, 01:36 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2009, 01:46 pm »
I worry when I see the gossip-mongers grab it before a statement is issued - one said "translation HE WAS KICKED OUT" (caps theirs, not mine) -

John is a lovely man, I have toured with him, he is a consummate pro, and whatever happened or whatever happens next, he deserves the dignity and respect we accord others - but since others plastered it all over before AEA got to the announcement, I do wonder what took so long.

Ah well, we are all human beings and things happen - and I agree, sounds like a leak.

crossing my fingers for what happens next. seems we have been in flux for a bit now...

deletedoldnotanymore

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:54 pm »
Based on the article having a statement from him, I wouldn't say it was a leak.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:38 pm »
The Playbill article reads nearly identically to the two articles on the AEA website.  My guess is they both came from the same press release.  Balls will be dropped at times of leadership transition.  Playbill is dedicated to communication - it's all they do and they do it well.  AEA has a few other major issues on their plate right now and updating their website, as Matthew noted, was probably pretty far down the line.  While it would be nice to see website updates getting a higher priority on their list, it seems that they properly notified the Area Liaisons and anyone who would be directly affected by the shift.

If AEA had suddenly negotiated a major change that affected the entire LORT contract, or health insurance - something that affected all members as opposed to a simple leadership change - I'm sure that notification on their own website would have been a much higher priority.  AEA is a union - its strength is in numbers and the skill of its collective bargainers, not in the particular characteristics of the head that wears the "crown."

riotous