Author Topic: Is Canada another country?  (Read 3669 times)

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
  • Experience: Professional
Is Canada another country?
« on: Oct 26, 2006, 12:42 am »
OK I know that Canada is another country but I am wondering if anyone has had union experience dealing with a show that performs in another country. I am AEA and was offred a contract on a show that is performing in Canada and from all the conversations I had the union was never mentioned, contracts ect. Now this case may be diffrent because it is rehearsing in NYC and performing in Canada but I have head so may diffrent takes on this I was just being curious. I have heard that there is a special relationship with Canadian Equity but I am not aware if this is true or not. Let me know what you know.
On a side note I didnt take the gig because of other reasons so this is truly a curosity since I would like to work with this company in the future.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Is Canada another country?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:43 am »
Yes, Canada is another country.

There is a Canadian Equity, that is seperate from American Equity.

You can be on an Equity Contract and tour internationally.  (Recently, I performed in England on an American Equity Contract.)

But, I believe, every show is different, and the specifics should be discussed.  Most likley, it seems, it was an American Production touring to Canada, which I believe can be done on an American AEA contract.

But there are always quirks.

(Like it's wierd to me that American AEA only covers English language performances - so if you are doing a performance in another language, it technically doesn't fall under AEA . . . so you have to come up with a whole new set of rules.  But I digress.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.