Author Topic: IATSE  (Read 6231 times)

Rebelsw/oapplause

• New to Town
    • View Profile
IATSE
« on: Jul 21, 2008, 06:42 pm »
Hey, I was just wondering how one goes about joining IATSE. I was looking at their website and they really did not provide any information about membership. Thanks alot!

-Ryan :D

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: IATSE
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2008, 01:49 am »
I'm not an IA member, so I don't really know the answer to your question.  Around here you can pick-up overhire calls fairly easily, but to join you need to go through an apprenticeship program, which mostly means putting in your time at the opera house - that's for Local 16.  But my understanding is that in other locals are less competitive and it's easier to get your card.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2008, 08:32 pm »
Each hall is a little bit different but the best way is to ask the local BA.  A lot of books are currently closed around the west but you can still get in if you know someone.  Many halls have an apprenticship program and to become an A list member many halls require 1,000 hours of work or 500 hours of training.  Membership information is normally not on the websites but just go down to the hall and ask.  Once you are sworn in you can start picking up bounce work fairly regularly.  Make sure to take advantage of the training classes and get as many cards as you can. i.e. carp, elec, rail, props, wardrobe, vid ect. 
Peace,

Chops

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2008, 11:12 am »
Since each local has its own jurisdiction, you need to find the BA from your local and talk with them.  Either look up the local's website, if they have one, or contact one of the local theatres that works with the IA to get the BA's contact info.  I get contacted all the time at my theatre, mainly from young students who haven't done their homework to learn that I'm only a road house - I send them to the BA.

And each local is different - I live in a small town where you can't make a living as a stagehand, so they're always looking for new bodies for the call list to make up larger calls, or to fill in when someone gets a full-time job.  Other areas - like it was mentioned above - have close their books because they have too many folks trying to get work.

-Centaura

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2008, 08:26 pm »
I am an IATSE member (currently on withdrawl--which means I'm not planining to work in my jurisdiction for a long while).  I got my card by doing lots of casual calls (non-member overhire) and then was invited to interview and take an entrance exam.  The rules changed the next year--open invitation--no exam. As was said in previous quotes--each local has it's own set of rules for membership.
My advice is to take all the casual on-call jobs you can--turn down or postpone other stuff to "answer the call"---get to know the guys and gals of that local and most important---be liked!  Show up on time, bring the needed tools, a great attitude and don't tell the senoir members how something is done!

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2008, 08:57 pm »
most important---be liked!

This is a good piece of advice.  I don't know how it is in other locals, but in the local that works at my building you apprentice, but then have to be voted in as a journeyman by the rest of the membership.  I've picked this up through conversations where they've talked about "never voting [that person] to journeyman level".  Not only do you have to know your stuff, you have to be work-able-with to get farther.

-Centaura