Author Topic: HAVE I EVER READ THE RULE BOOK?  (Read 14273 times)

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: HAVE I EVER READ THE RULE BOOK?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2005, 11:53 pm »
Quote from: "MatthewShiner"

(b) Each Stage Manager and Assistant Stage Manager shall have a meal break of no less than one hour during each work day at an appropriate interval. (It goes on to list the penalty)

I found that rule last spring, so it isn't brand new.  On the west coast, at least ;P
I took that rule round, showed it to all the SM"s in the theatre, and we all had a good laugh.  As though setting up doesn't count towards rehearsal hours.  

When you have a 10am call the first day of tech, and the first break is at 5...well...i think we all know how often *that* rule is obeyed.

I just last week found a rule that you can't call the show while topless.  Keep that in mind.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Topless
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2005, 12:30 am »
Wait, but I can still have "no pants" day in the booth.

(Basically the week break downs like this . . . )

Tuesday . . . "Everyone Pay Attention Day"
Wednesday . . . "Funny Accent Days"
Thursday . . . "Tequila Thursday!"
Friday . . . "No Pants in the Booth"
Saturday . . . "Drink every time they say wherefor" (Remember we work in shakespeare)"
Sunday . . . "Board Operators Tend Bar"

(Ah, if I only could . . .)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
HAVE I EVER READ THE RULE BOOK?
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2005, 12:35 am »
Sunday = "Think out loud Sunday."  

....cuz then you have Monday for everyone to calm down....

lbeacham

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Idaho Shakespeare Festival
Favorite new rule
« Reply #18 on: Jun 05, 2006, 04:11 am »
Here's a fun one -
I just found a new rule in the SPT rulebook - the SM isn't allowed to either lock or unlock the building.  It wasn't there in the last version of the rulebook.
Considering I'm usually the first person in and the last person out... this is a bit silly.  It makes some other poor sap have to show up just to lock and unlock the door.  I can understand it from a liability standpoint, or so that the SM doesn't HAVE to be there to open the building.  But otherwise... I'd much rather have someone just ASK if i'm willing to open a door.  It's not as if we aren't responsible.  Come on!

I love it when new rules show up.  

As for the chicken suit... I hate it when the feathers tickle your nose.  

I've had to dress in a french maid costume (don't ask), a bad 80's outfit complete with a giant ratted side ponytail (which gets caught in your headset, BTW), and wore antlers over my headset for student matinees of Christmas Carol (hey whatever gets you through those 10am calls with tons of kids - the antlers make the kids think you're glad to be there that early in the morning).  No feathers.... Yet.
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's souls. -
Daniel H. Burnham

lbeacham

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Idaho Shakespeare Festival
Favorite new rule
« Reply #19 on: Jun 05, 2006, 04:11 am »
Here's a fun one -
I just found a new rule in the SPT rulebook - the SM isn't allowed to either lock or unlock the building.  It wasn't there in the last version of the rulebook.
Considering I'm usually the first person in and the last person out... this is a bit silly.  It makes some other poor sap have to show up just to lock and unlock the door.  I can understand it from a liability standpoint, or so that the SM doesn't HAVE to be there to open the building.  But otherwise... I'd much rather have someone just ASK if i'm willing to open a door.  It's not as if we aren't responsible.  Come on!

I love it when new rules show up.  

As for the chicken suit... I hate it when the feathers tickle your nose.  

I've had to dress in a french maid costume (don't ask), a bad 80's outfit complete with a giant ratted side ponytail (which gets caught in your headset, BTW), and wore antlers over my headset for student matinees of Christmas Carol (hey whatever gets you through those 10am calls with tons of kids - the antlers make the kids think you're glad to be there that early in the morning).  No feathers.... Yet.
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's souls. -
Daniel H. Burnham

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2006, 11:39 am »
Wait, but I can still have "no pants" day in the booth.

I actually called a show once in just a sports bra and leggings.  Course, the AC in the building had shut down, and we were being fed only hot air in the booth.  I keep clothes at the door of the booth to put on for going out, but me and the board op were both down to the bare minimun of decency.

And I won't even mention where feathers go when you've got a fan running!

-Centaura

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #21 on: Jun 06, 2006, 12:52 pm »
I just found a new rule in the SPT rulebook - the SM isn't allowed to either lock or unlock the building. It wasn't there in the last version of the rulebook.

Actually, it was in the SPT 2002 rulebook (valid thru 2007), at 54.J.9.e.  I know because I was THRILLED to see it my first SPT contract.  For that particular company, it was officially the non-Equity ASM's job to lock up.  I now look in any contract to see if it's listed, and while I will lock up, I make sure the company knows I don't HAVE to, and I request as much as possible for other areas to shut down themselves if they leave first (i.e., all the lights in the admin section if I don't need them, etc).

Erin

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #22 on: Jun 08, 2006, 12:44 am »
Though I too am usually the first person in and out - it was because I was locking up.  It's nice to not have to do that and allow the PA's or ASM's to do that now.  Too often I was stuck waiting at the theatre for no reason just because it was my responsibility to lock up.  Granted - it also means I don't really get to stay and do work if it's necessary because I don't want to make someone wait just for me.

But I've never seen that Rule in the LORT book which is all I've really worked under.

kjdiehl

• Permanent Resident
  • The Turtle Moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 04, 2006, 11:27 pm »
I don't like to ask my non-Eq ASMs to do work that I'm technically not allowed to do. Sometimes I will do so, but I try hard to limit it. I figure the rules are some standard to be striven for by everyone, not just those protected by the contract. Just like I won't call a break and then ask some non-Eq personnell in the room to do something. And I figure if I ask an ASM to lock up or something, then technically I'm overseeing that task, which is really the same as doing it, in my eyes.
-Kris Diehl, AEA SM

"Somewhere in the city there's a stage manager waiting,
standing in the shadows with a clipboard in hand..."

Lady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA EMC
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2006, 05:36 pm »
When I went EMC, the PSM I was working under would give me "Equity Quizzes" everyday.  I pretty much learned the whole SPT book in 3 weeks. 
Later, this same PSM would call shows in various hats from costume storage.
"One cannot truly become an artist unless he has questioned his own sanity and lived in a haunted house." -Jasmine Rivera