Author Topic: Guest Artist Agreements  (Read 14943 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Guest Artist Agreements
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2007, 12:31 pm »
But once the producer hires 3 AEA actors, they must hire an AEA SM as well.

Evidently not so.  I just got screwed out of a job because Equity just told the low-budget company I was going to work for that a) they'd raised my rate by $100/week, and then, Oh by the way, you don't really have to hire an AEA SM after all.  So they have 3 Equity actors contracts, and a non-union SM.

Erin

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2007, 01:30 pm »
I'm sorry you got screwed over.
That never feels good.

The GA salary rates did go up recently but $100? That seems, at first blush, like a lot. The GA agreement is staff generated, meaning there are no active committees that deal with concession requests on a regular basis. The Chairs of the committees are usually the only ones consulted. There are those of us who would like to see this policy changed so I urge you to call the Business Rep in your area that made that concession, express your displeasure with the decision and then offer to serve on the committee. This may prompt a conversation about the actual committee and give you the opportunity to speak with your region's committee chair and ask that more input from the field be required before concessions like these are made.

I know you are very active in several areas of your profession so don't give up on this one, Erin.
You can make a difference!

Best of Luck,
VSM
Vernon
Ordo ab chao

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2007, 03:22 pm »
Ah.  Just looked again.  It was Special Appearance, not Guest Artist.  (I rarely work those two - in fact have only done GA before, so get them confused.)

And it did bump up...by $60 for Tier II.  So, I think the company must've additionally bumped from Tier I to II, as it was roughly $100 my fee would've raised from what they originally quoted.

Thanks, though, Vernon.

Erin

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:11 am »
I am going to be in a similar situation this summer. I will stage managing for a summerstock program and the first show has a couple equity actors. This puts my mind at ease. If I follow the guest artist contract I should be good. Thanks everyone, even though I didn't ask the question!
Sean