Author Topic: Getting In: Experience and EMC  (Read 4293 times)

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Getting In: Experience and EMC
« on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:15 pm »
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot, Mods please move if necessary :)

So here is my predicament. I am a working non-eq PSM at a theatre in Phoenix. I have been out of Grad School for 3 years, done a lot of work in varying environments (tours, ships, theme parks, regional, summer stock). I am EMC, and have 30 weeks. I have worked in AEA houses as non-eq ASM, and am experienced with working under AEA rules with guest contracts from actors at my current theatre.

I think it's time that I buckle down and look at my options for finishing my weeks and getting my card. A few SM's I have talked to say that after a certain point, it is difficult to get points because of the level of experience. The other option people have told me is to apply for AEA ASM jobs as EMC, and see if I can get sponsored in. Others have said move to NYC or LA and get my name out there, and see what I can do.

I'm a little at sea here. I finally am in a good financial place that I could go either way. I am willing to move and go where the next best option for me would be.

I'd appreciate advice. I'm at a crossroads, and I would like to make a well-informed decision on my next move. Thanks all!

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
Re: Getting In: Experience and EMC
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09:24 am »
I'm not sure that there's a WRONG choice here. 

You want your card and there are two ways of getting it. Finishing up your 50 weeks and joining, or being offered an Equity contract. Either way, you have to research and be in touch with Equity theatres, applying for positions. The reason the EMC program is 50 weeks long is, so that after you have earned your weeks and are eligible to join, or when you've almost earned all your weeks and a theatre offers you an AEA position, you will have built your own personal network of colleagues who know who you are and willing to hire you. 

I do counsel you however, not to move to a city you don't really want to live in, without a job under your belt. You are only three years out of Grad. School.  You are young, and have lots of years to move around. Therefore, if you really like a city like NY, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc., cities with lot of theatre, cities in which you WANT to live, apply for jobs there and pack up and move. Keep in mind that you have to be moving towards something. So there have to be opportunities in your chosen place of residence.

Your other option is to apply to every theatre with an EMC program, looking for EMC work or AEA ASM work, and move where ever you get hired. I know lots of SMs who have moved several times while they are in their 20s and 30s., following the work.

The most important aspect of any path is building yourself a network. Once you have that, you'll have choices.

I hope this helps a little!

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot, Mods please move if necessary :)

So here is my predicament. I am a working non-eq PSM at a theatre in Phoenix. I have been out of Grad School for 3 years, done a lot of work in varying environments (tours, ships, theme parks, regional, summer stock). I am EMC, and have 30 weeks. I have worked in AEA houses as non-eq ASM, and am experienced with working under AEA rules with guest contracts from actors at my current theatre.

I think it's time that I buckle down and look at my options for finishing my weeks and getting my card. A few SM's I have talked to say that after a certain point, it is difficult to get points because of the level of experience. The other option people have told me is to apply for AEA ASM jobs as EMC, and see if I can get sponsored in. Others have said move to NYC or LA and get my name out there, and see what I can do.

I'm a little at sea here. I finally am in a good financial place that I could go either way. I am willing to move and go where the next best option for me would be.

I'd appreciate advice. I'm at a crossroads, and I would like to make a well-informed decision on my next move. Thanks all!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
Re: Getting In: Experience and EMC
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:05 pm »
That does, thank you. I'm definitely in the camp of "going where the work is" right now. The jobs have just been either in a remote theatre location (cities that don't have a huge theatre network, or much relationship with the bigger ones) or to tours and ships. I just need to find a city where I can get a job and say I'm moving there. I've been considered for positions before, but they were nervous to hire me because I didn't already have an address in that city yet. I'll see what I can find.

riotous