Author Topic: EMC Weeks  (Read 4742 times)

bsortman

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
EMC Weeks
« on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:45 pm »
Hello All!

Question concerning accruing weeks for the EMC program: I am working under a contract that has me working on multiple shows at once. For example, a show will rehearse for two weeks, open, and then another show will begin rehearsing while the first is running for the remaining three weeks - and the cycle continues on from there. Will each production count separately for the amount of weeks (2 weeks for rehearsal and 3 for performance = 5 weeks total for each production) so that after five productions I would end up with 25 weeks? Or, will my weeks under the contract be counted as a whole (my contract only spans 19 weeks)?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: EMC Weeks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:51 pm »
This is definitely worth a call to your AEA rep. But my gut says, if you signed a season contract, total calendar weeks rather than separate shows in each week are counted, just as a season contract covers number of weeks once through, not number of productions, for health and pension weeks. If you were hired on two or more separate contracts, this might change.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2014, 01:59 pm by loebtmc »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:14 pm »
When I was EMC they counted actual calendar weeks worked. I did 8 weeks of stock working multiple eligible shows simultaneously, followed by a 50 week long internship where I was in a similar position as you described. At the beginning of the internship I opted to inform AEA that I was doing 4 shows instead of 5 to avoid capping out my EMC weeks, as I was not interested in working the Chicago scene with a card due to the scarcity of union houses. If they had been counting the weeks spent on the individual productions I'd have been able to report only 2-3 of the shows.

Of course this was about 16 years ago so definitely consult with the powers that be in your region.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:31 pm »
I don't have experience with EMC because I never did the program, but my experience last year with health weeks and overlap was that the week was only counted twice if the overlap was at two different theatres (so yay, 45 health weeks for 43 weeks worked...not that it matters after 20...)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:06 am »
No double dipping. One credit per calendar week, as I understand it.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:24 am »
I think one week per calendar week per contract . . .

If you had overlapping weeks at two different theaters on two different contracts, you might be able to double count the weeks . . .

But, discuss with AEA . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:10 am »
You definitely get double points on two separate contracts, because I have done that- started rehearsals for a show at one theater while in performances at another and got points for both.

I don't think you can double up in your situation. Maybe if you have a separate contract for each show instead of one contract for the season? Seconding everyone else- call AEA.

The information they give you when you join EMC is incredibly sparse (in my opinion), but if you call them they're very specific & helpful in clarifying things.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2014, 01:15 pm »
As in Health accrual, it is my opinion that you get one credit per week, per contract.
If a producer has you working on separate shows during the same time frame, they should be paying an increment, not a salary or a separate credit for EMC or Health.

CHECK WITH AEA
Ordo ab chao