Author Topic: Doing Non-Equity Work While Being Equity  (Read 7570 times)

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Doing Non-Equity Work While Being Equity
« on: Sep 11, 2015, 01:38 pm »
Ok, everyone!! I do not know if this topic has ever been discussed and I know that it's considered a serious breach of Equity responsibilities but has anyone ever petitioned Equity to do a production without a signed Equity contract? If so, what were your experiences with this? I have just recently joined the union and I have been lucky to have gotten offered a couple of contracts for 2015 and 2016 and there is some additional Equity work that is up in the air but I was going to request permission to do a non-Equity show just to help fill out my season. Should I even bother, especially with me being so new? It's just that I live and work in a theatre community where most of the local theatres have resident Equity PSMs and a couple of the smaller theatre companies are in transition to being full-fledged SPT theatres. I would just appreciate some thoughts and advice. Much love.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Doing Non-Equity Work While Being Equity
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2015, 03:38 pm »
Here are some previous discussions of this matter:

http://smnetwork.org/forum/the-hardline/do-members-need-equity's-permission-to-do-college-shows/
http://smnetwork.org/forum/the-hardline/being-offered-my-card-good-idea/
http://smnetwork.org/forum/the-hardline/when-to-join-equity/

...and my own take on the matter, written way back in 2001...

http://smnetwork.org/forum/articles-from-the-old-site/candidate-for-life-%28or-why-i-haven't-joined-aea%29/

To answer the cliffhanger from the end of the last article, no, I never joined and my rep never had the chance to snicker at me.

AEA SMs do take non-union work from time to time. I've seen members do so for educational situations or high profile international work. If you're going to be doing something that will greatly improve your skills or visibility as a union stage manager then it may be worthwhile. However, if you're only doing it because you can't find any other work, then IMHO getting your card was a mistake. You now need to make the best of a bad decision on your own in a way that does not harm the labor union that you joined.

I never joined because I was not willing to make the sacrifices required to go pro. If you join a labor union and then immediately seek to violate one of the primary principles of union labor (i.e., union talent only works for union shops) then you have misunderstood the entire concept of organized labor. If your community has no openings for AEA SMs then you should have known or researched that fact before joining and done the math. The union is only able to offer you all the nice perks of guaranteed wages, insurance, safety assurances, etc because your talent and the talent of everyone in the union is their collateral in collective bargaining. You are now a bargaining chip. You certainly can walk away from that role. However, if you've any experience with unruly casts I'm sure you'll understand how difficult it is to field a successful team when the players keep deviating from the playbook.

If a producer can have your proven union-caliber professional talent at cut rates and without all the hassle, paperwork and liability of being an AEA shop, then what incentive do they have to switch over to equity contracts at all? How can AEA grow as a presence in the theatre industry if its members are deliberately undermining its power to negotiate? You may think, "oh, I'm just one person, my presence or absence won't matter," but the whole point of joining the union is to say that you will make the sacrifice of limiting your work opportunities in favor of the group succeeding as a whole. Every single person who has joined AEA has faced your dilemma. The union only survives because they have, for the most part, continued to make that sacrifice.

Also, think back to when you were non-union. How would you have felt if AEA premium talent was coming in to snap up all of your gigs? It would be kind of like what happened to the Olympic Games back in the 90's when they decided to allow professional athletes to compete. Non-union doesn't need big city fancy schmancy AEA stage managers coming in to tell them how it's done in the big leagues. Part of the charm of non-union is the unconventional spontaneity that arises from not knowing all the ropes.

You made a very adult decision in joining the union. Even if that choice was not made with open eyes, it would be best to continue with the adult decisions going forward.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2015, 03:37 pm »
I filled in between my AEA SM jobs with non-stage managing theatre work  i.e. electrician, carpenter, scenic painter. (These were non-IATSE houses and it was prior to getting my IA card.) AEA has been there for me and I will continue to support it by not doing non-union stage managing.   

PSMKay's words below are spot on:

If a producer can have your proven union-caliber professional talent at cut rates and without all the hassle, paperwork and liability of being an AEA shop, then what incentive do they have to switch over to equity contracts at all? How can AEA grow as a presence in the theatre industry if its members are deliberately undermining its power to negotiate?

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2015, 07:03 pm »
Thank you so much!! Believe me, going Equity was not a decision I took lightly and I did do the research and the math.  Oddly enough, the timing worked out perfectly. I joined while a local theatre was in transition, having lost their resident PSM and while another theatre bumped up to being an Equity house this season.There are also a couple of more opportunities for union work I am waiting to hear about. I won't lie, I expected this response but I just needed to hear it. Even with doing the research and knowing the risks, but at same time, knowing Equity is a union I wanted to be apart of, it didn't make the transition less jarring. The theatre community I live in is very tight knit and my issue is always wanting to be there for everyone. This particular theatre was where most of my non-Equity work came from and while yes, they're in transition to being a union house within the next year or so, it was hard having to leave them. I read your thread "Candidate for Life" and it really spoke to me because this particular theatre does do the nonconventional, cutting edge shows that don't often pop up in an Equity theatre's season. Ultimately I am not going to take work without an Equity contract attached. I just really needed to hear some outside opinions.  I have embraced the choice I made and if the theatre gods see fit, this theatre I love will still be around, doing the edgy shows, but with the added ability to hire an Equity SM.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2015, 07:29 pm »
This thread should be seen by every young stage manager who is contemplating the transition to AEA. It's tough going from being one of the best non-union SMs to being a very small fish in an ocean of big league pros. I'm glad you decided as you have, and that you took my prior post as it was intended - tactlessness is a longstanding family tradition for me.

Enjoy your career and experiences. You've already made it further than I ever did. Cheers.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2015, 12:09 pm »
The theatre community I live in is very tight knit and my issue is always wanting to be there for everyone. This particular theatre was where most of my non-Equity work came from and while yes, they're in transition to being a union house within the next year or so, it was hard having to leave them.

As an aside - upholding the agreement you have with AEA and helping out this theatre are not mutually exclusive.  While you've voluntarily joined the organization and agreed to accept only AEA work, you can still help the people you've developed personal and professional relationships with.  If they need an SM, you may recommend someone who is eligible to work in a non-union setting as a bridge until you're able to work with them again after they offer equity contracts.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2015, 01:17 pm by KMC »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2015, 01:37 pm »
^this. If you know of other areas where they normally need help, join in. Load in, put up posters, help with box office and ushering, share the show on social media.

riotous