Author Topic: Deputy Elections - Chorus and Principal  (Read 4535 times)

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Deputy Elections - Chorus and Principal
« on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:52 am »
When working on a show where a chorus and principal deputy is required, do you usually hold that election as part of your AEA business meeting and say something along the lines of "we need to elect a principal deputy among actors A, B, and C and a chorus deputy among actors X, Y, and Z" or do you try to find a time to meet privately with the principals and chorus at separate times so as not to announce who is on a principal contract and who is on a chorus contract? I've always done the former with no complaint but was recently questioned on that practice.  Having enough time for the AEA business meeting is often challenging enough, especially on musicals/large cast shows, I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario when I could hold two.  Just curious as to what the practice is for other SMs. 

nmno

Re: Deputy Elections - Chorus and Principal
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2012, 11:06 am »
Hmm, I've never thought of who was on what contract as secret information....  In fact, when I've done new shows and Equity has come in to do the determinations (principals, specialties), we've been asked to post the list.  Plus, once you start assigning understudies it becomes pretty clear as well... 

In the past I've just had them gather on opposite sides of the same room after the AEA meeting, me with one group and assistant with the other, not so much out of secret but if I thought one group would be quick and the other not, or if I thought it would help them know who was/wasn't on their contract.  Last show, we just did it all in one group at the end of the meeting.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2012, 04:03 pm »
I agree with nmno - it's not really a secret who is on what contract, nor does it need to be.

I could see the petty side of actors not wanting the principals to know who the chorus deputy is and vice versa, but at that point it becomes a splitting of hairs.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2012, 04:55 pm »
I think everyone is fine knowing who is on what contract.

Like if you have a mixed AEA/Non-AEA cast, it's okay they know who is AEA or Non-AEA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2012, 09:07 am »
Like if you have a mixed AEA/Non-AEA cast, it's okay they know who is AEA or Non-AEA.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Thanks everyone. 

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:58 am »
If you did hold separate meetings, the cast simply needs to use process of elimination to figure out who is in the other group. So why not save the time and do it in one room?
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2012, 02:38 pm »
I do think though you need to split them apart, and let them discuss issues privately in their own group . . . there are issues you don't need both groups to discuss together.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.