Author Topic: Dear Abby  (Read 4293 times)

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
Dear Abby
« on: Oct 02, 2013, 04:11 pm »
Dear Abby:

I have 47 EMC points already, but I don't feel I am ready to compete as an AEA member.  I am currently working as an Non-Eq ASM at an SPT theatre.  I chose to forego enrolling in EMC for this show, since the 7 points I would gain would push me over the edge.

My question is, can/should I still be indicated as EMC in the program, lobby display, etc?  I am in fact EMC, but not on this production.  So I could see how either way would work.  I don't particularly care at the end of the day, but I'd like to know what you all think, academically.

Sincerely,
Secret EMC
Ordo ab chao

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
Re: Dear Abby
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2013, 09:30 pm »
Wow. I promise I am NOT the anonymous asker of this Dear Abby, but I am facing this EXACT dilemma right now.

Personally, I am voting in favor of not being listed as EMC. I don't want to rock any boats, and I don't really care at the end of the day either.

What does everyone else think?
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2013, 11:18 pm »
I am not sure you gain anything by being listed as EMC on a lobby board or program.  I think it's one of those things that maybe important to you - and really doesn't matter in the long run - you are either union or not.

But, I think technically, you are still a member of the EMC program, so if you felt strongly, you could comfortably add it to a bio or so forth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2013, 10:06 am »
Agreed - I don't think you gain anything by being listed as EMC, I think it really only matters to you as a way of indicating future aspirations to be AEA.