Author Topic: Daylight savings & Rest Period  (Read 6174 times)

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
Daylight savings & Rest Period
« on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:52 pm »
I'm working with an SPT theatre under SPT-8 and we go into tech next week.
Our two 10/12's fall on Saturday & Sunday--right now both 11am-11pm.
However, we realized that Sunday is Daylight savings (Spring Forward!) and technically we won't have a full 12 hour rest period.

From the rulebook:
10.BREAKS AND REST PERIODS
(A) Rest Period. There shall be a 12-hour rest period between the end of work on one day and the beginning of work on the next, except on the final day before the first public performance when the rest period may be reduced to 11 hours.
Any invasion of this rest period shall be paid at double the overtime rate in addition to all other remuneration due.

So does that mean we either need to do 10pm-10pm on Saturday or 12pm-12am Sunday?
Our awesome PM is contacting Equity, but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue before.

Samazon

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNC Greensboro, SMA, AEA
Re: Daylight savings & Rest Period
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:44 am »
I've run into a similar problem a few times while on tour when crossing time zones, particularly when crossing from central back into eastern. Essentially, I keep the time on one time zone, even if we actually cross to a new time during the day then switch times once the day has ended. It sounds like are basically doing the same thing so then the times would need to be adjusted to make sure that the rest period is really 12 hours.
“All things are possible until they are proved impossible and even the impossible may only be so, as of now."

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:44 pm »
I'd love to hear what your Business Rep. says to this query. Please post the answer once you have talked to them!

Thanks!

I'm working with an SPT theatre under SPT-8 and we go into tech next week.
Our two 10/12's fall on Saturday & Sunday--right now both 11am-11pm.
However, we realized that Sunday is Daylight savings (Spring Forward!) and technically we won't have a full 12 hour rest period.

From the rulebook:
10.BREAKS AND REST PERIODS
(A) Rest Period. There shall be a 12-hour rest period between the end of work on one day and the beginning of work on the next, except on the final day before the first public performance when the rest period may be reduced to 11 hours.
Any invasion of this rest period shall be paid at double the overtime rate in addition to all other remuneration due.

So does that mean we either need to do 10pm-10pm on Saturday or 12pm-12am Sunday?
Our awesome PM is contacting Equity, but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue before.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:03 pm »
The last time I had this happen to me it was under a LORT contract, and yes you needed 12 actual hours.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2016, 12:00 am »
I am curious to, so thanks for reporting back. I have had DST in both directions over tech weekend and we've played some interesting games to make sure folks got rest. But sometimes we just ignore accept it and move along. For comparison, I have a friend who works in a factory and they figure you work one hour twice in one direction and you get it off in the other direction, they figure it comes out even.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2016, 01:50 pm »
I've always made the adjustment to allow 12 hours or pay the overtime.

The factory example only works if you can guarantee someone is working the full year . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:43 pm »
I've always made the adjustment to allow 12 hours or pay the overtime.

That's what we were thinking. If we stick to the current  schedule, then the actors would be paid an hour OT.
I haven't heard back yet from the PM, but once I do, I'll let you all know what we did.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2016, 01:34 am »
(Matthew - yes, I just noted it because it's the mentality of those who work year-round and don't always think about the reality of a more casual or occasional work schedule).

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:43 pm »
Update:
Our Equity Rep says we must have a full 12 hours.
So on Saturday we are sticking to what's scheduled (11am-11pm), then Sunday it will be 12pm-12am.