Author Topic: Dance Call  (Read 5839 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Dance Call
« on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:00 pm »
So, this has come up on my past two shows.  Working on the LORT contract, we are allowed a fight call, but you can't do a "dance call" - I am wondering what, if any AEA contract allows that - both times, I have had sort of knock down, round and round conversations about this. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: Dance Call
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:59 pm »
Never heard of anyone doing a "dance call". Are there complicated lifts,drops, spins etc involved? If so, it then becomes an issue of safety and I would have a "dance call" same as a fight call. Under LORT, you are allowed 10 hours per week of brushup rehearsal after opening. Split into 15 minute increments, could prove to be quite helpful...?
Ordo ab chao

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:00 pm »
Yeah, but during previews . . . for example, when this came up . . . you are already using your hours during the day.  And, you would not be able to do it on a two-show day (unless they elected to do so) and it would have to be the ONLY rehearsal for the day.

AEA basically said if there was a lift or safety concern, then they would allow it - as long as the dance captain was present and the request came from an AEA member.  But otherwise, it is considered brush-up.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:13 pm »
On shows I've done with complicated lifts, drops, spins, acro., etc., the dancers have usually taken care of all of this, on their own, during their warm up.

So, this has come up on my past two shows.  Working on the LORT contract, we are allowed a fight call, but you can't do a "dance call" - I am wondering what, if any AEA contract allows that - both times, I have had sort of knock down, round and round conversations about this. 
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:15 pm »
Yeah, I think the difference is making the stage available for warm-up versus making it a required call.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2009, 12:14 pm »
If you and the Dance Captain consider it necessary, make it a required call.
Safety should win out every time.
Ordo ab chao

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2009, 12:24 pm »
Even if there is a safety concern, apparently Equity would need to okay it without it being an overtime issue.

(In both the cases that have come before me it was the director asking for it . . . there were no safety concerns.)

I have also learned that wording makes a huge difference . . . calling something a voluntary dance call versus having the stage available for warm-up for whoever wants to show up means two entirely different things.  From my understanding stating that something is voluntary, does not mean someone does not get paid overtime for it. 

Getting very nitpickey on these rules . . .