Author Topic: COST Contract questions  (Read 6338 times)

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
  • Experience: Professional
COST Contract questions
« on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:30 pm »
I've just been hired on a COST contract and don't know a lot about it.  I've worked mostly LORT and SPT contracts before.  Has anyone here worked on them before?  I'm mostly curious about the rule regarding Housing and whether part of it comes out of my check.  This isn't a Touring Production.  I've also emailed AEA to see what they say.  Thanks!

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: COST Contract questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:57 pm »
I have worked four COST contracts at two different theatres and I am currently being housed on one.  I am not being charged for my housing.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:31 pm »
I was the Company Manager for a theatre on a COST contract and am now an AEA SM there; we provide housing at no cost to the actor.   

However, I looked in my rulebook, and according to rule 29(A)(3) (and I'm paraphrasing; see page 33 of the rulebook), for a non-touring production the producer may either pay per diem as specified in rule 49 and have the actor pay for housing in accordance with rule 29(A)(2) or provide housing.   I'd be interested to know what you find out from your email to Equity. 

If you have any other questions about the COST contract, please feel free to PM me.  I've become pretty familiar with it from a producer's and a stage manager's point of view. 

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2007, 04:56 am »
I also worked at a COST theatre in MD.  All AEA actors, SM, ASMs and interns were provided with housing at no cost.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2007, 09:41 am »
Hey everyone, thanks for the input.  Got in touch with Russell Lehrer at AEA and he comfirmed dramachic's explanation.  If the company does not provide a per diem pf $21/day, they have to provide housing at no cost. 

Which brings up another question, does the housing then have to have kitchen facilities to avoid the per diem as required by LORT contracts?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2007, 12:55 pm »
I have never been on a contract where housing or per diem for OOT folks was not required (unless you presented as a local) - but keep in mind, a microwave and a minifridge count as a kitchen. If you have these, they don't need to give you per diem.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:50 am »
If you are being provided housing by the theatre and that housing contains kitchen facilities, then the theatre is not required to pay per diem. 

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:38 pm »
As always, anyone can go to the Equity website (www.actorsequity.org), go into the document library and view all the rules in any rulebook.

This specific question is addressed in the COST Rulebook - Rule #29 (A2) and Rule #49 (B2)
Ordo ab chao

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2007, 05:57 pm »
VSM - The problem is the rules aren't always comprehensible by normal people.  I had downloaded the rule book but was confused by the wording.  Hence the question here and the email to AEA for an explanation.

riotous