Author Topic: Considering Going Equity  (Read 4041 times)

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Considering Going Equity
« on: Mar 06, 2009, 08:17 am »
Hello,

I have been SMing for quite some time now and lately I have been going back and forth about going Equity. Now a year ago, I would never have said, "I want to go equity!" - but I am getting older, and it's hard to ignore certain things...like the pay difference, like the fact that I have to have my breaks too and so on. I have no points as of now - so ya know, I still have a long way to go. But I feel like deciding to even go down that road is a big decision in itself. I just wondered what everyone thought about it. In my opinion, in a few years I will either have to be equity or doing something else, because I can't live on what I'm making now for the rest of my life. Due to the fact that I am actually considering it, leads me to believe that it is time also because, like I said, a year ago it wasn't a thought in my head at all.

Going equity may seem like the obvious choice, but I have always been happy as non-eq, so I didn't worry about it.

Also, I was wondering, because of the economy and all that good stuff, and by good I mean horrible, is it harder to get in now? And does that just mean I would be competing with a ridiculous amount of SM's now because everyone is competing for the same 5 jobs? Because of course, if I can't get a job as an equity sm, then it would be counterproductive.

Just some thoughts I was thrownin out there.
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Considering Going Equity
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2009, 09:53 pm »
This is a big question, and the key to answering it is to do your homework on Equity and  figure out if it’s a good match with your personal goals.   Here are some specifies to consider:

-Earning points is only one way to join Equity.  The other is just to find a theater that wants to hire you on an Equity contract, sign that contract, pay a deposit toward your initiation fee, and you are “in”.  So this isn’t necessarily a long term project. 

-A big benefit of Equity is that it sets minimum salaries, limits weekly & daily work hours, and requires breaks and days off at regular, set, intervals.  But not all Equity jobs are created equal.   Requirements can vary wildly by the specific type of Agreement  your  theater is operating under.   You can find out how much or how little an agreement pays on the Equity website,  actorsequity.org.  Follow the links to Document Library, then click on Agreements, and you’ll see a long list of them.  On most of these agreements, look for the Salary listing in the Table of Contents and you can see a chart detailing pay and hours. 

-If you’re joining Equity for the Benefits, be sure to read the fine print.  How much health care, if any, you can qualify for is dependent on how many weeks you work, and then you’ll still have to pay quarterly premiums.  Many contracts don’t have 401Ks.  You might qualify for a pension from Equity, but it’s again based on how much you earn.

-Having an Equity card is no guarantee that you’ll get Equity work.  Look around your area at how many theaters are Equity, and what Agreement they use.  The pay difference may not be as great as you think.  If there aren’t many Equity theaters, it could be tough to find a job.

If being a  Stage Manager on an Equity show is a priority, maybe take that leap of faith, which a career in theater has always been, a little farther and join the union.  If not, make sure the numbers really do add up.   
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:38 am »

The other is just to find a theater that wants to hire you on an Equity contract, sign that contract, pay a deposit toward your initiation fee, and you are “in”.  So this isn’t necessarily a long term project. 

You do have a "drop dead" date to pay off the ballance or have it deducted from your AEA contract salary---otherwise, you're not a member in good standing.  Rebbe makes some very valid points about contract minimums (some may even pay less than you get on non-AEA shows), health benefits and that AEA does not guarantee work.

I have been SMing for quite some time now

My advice to SM's considering going AEA is " do you have enough shows under your belt?"  Being an SM is a tough enough job and having to be on top of the AEA contract(s) adds to your plate.  By "quite some time" do you mean a number of years?

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:16 am »
I have been sming now for about 4 or 5 years. and I know that's not long, but I assume building up the points will take some time.
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall