Author Topic: Christmas Rule LORT  (Read 3644 times)

Gina

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM- As I Remember It Tour
  • Experience: Professional
Christmas Rule LORT
« on: Sep 12, 2012, 09:13 pm »
Hello Stage Managers,

I came across something new (for me) today and am checking in with my Business Rep but I have confused myself with this Christmas Rule (or my GM and I just have a different understanding the rule.) My instinct is to look at the most conservative sense of the rule to avoid making a costly scheduling error down the road, but my equity greenness may also be causing me to be overly conservative.

The Current Plan for Rehearsal:
Sunday 12/16 Day Off
Monday 12/17- Rehearsal
Tuesday 12/18- Rehearsal
Wednesday 12/19- Rehearsal
Thursday 12/20- Rehearsal
Friday 12/21- Rehearsal
Saturday 12/22- Rehearsal
Sunday 12/23- Rehearsal

Monday- 12/24- Day Off (Christmas Eve)
Tuesday- 12/25- Day Off (Christmas Day)
Wednesday- 12/26- Rehearsal
Thursday- 12/27- Rehearsal
Friday- 12/28- Rehearsal
Saturday- 12/29- Rehearsal
Sunday-12/30- Rehearsal

I Included the pertinent rules below. Now, there is not an actual day off in the week of Monday 17th. I took (f) [below] to mean that regardless of the Christmas rules, you still need a day off in each M-Sun week. My company believes that since we do not have more than 12 days between our day off that we are fine or that possibly the actors can vote to move the day off to the next week (for Christmas Eve). Now, in my opinion- the actors would much prefer to have both Christmas Eve and Day off but I haven't been able to find a rule to support this yet. Any experience/advice/other red flags you may have had with this would be greatly appreciated.
I guess I should count myself lucky that I've generally be off at Christmas, though a pay check is a nice present too. Thanks all! Gina

From the LORT Rule Book:

(ii) Christmas. In addition to the regular day off during the workweek, there will be no rehearsal or performance (except during tech week) on either December 24 or December 25 (but not both unless the regular day off is scheduled by the Theatre on December 24 or December 25). The Theatre may schedule six performances over three consecutive days during the seven day period prior to or following December 25 but not both. During tech week, unless there is a second day off during the workweek, there shall be a daylight day of rest in the same week as the holiday. The daylight day of rest is only required if there is a day free of technical rehearsals in Christmas week. Such daylight day of rest may end at 5:00 PM. (iii) Any changes of day off required by sections (i) and (ii) above will not be included in the changes of day off referred to in section (E)(7)(c).(e) Under no circumstances may more than eight consecutive days elapse between days off, except that 12 days may elapse between days off to comply with the Thanksgiving and Christmas Rule above (see Rule 66(H)(1)(l)(iii)). (f) NOTWITHSTANDING THE ABOVE, THE WORKWEEK IS STILL DEFINED AS MONDAY THROUGH SUNDAY AND THERE MUST BE A DESIGNATED DAY OFF WITHIN EACH WORKWEEK. [Equity's All Caps, not mine]

EDIT: Fixin some fonts.  --PSMK
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2012, 10:27 pm by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Christmas Rule LORT
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2012, 01:07 am »
I believe the rule reading is correct in there needs to be a day off every week. 

I think everyone makes a really good point that the spirit of the rule seems to be upheld, but it would require a concession, and possible a cast vote.  BUT, I am pretty sure they can't vote for this schedule without the concession.

Check with AEA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Gina

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2012, 07:35 am »
Thanks Matthew,

It may be that they've been given that concession in the past am I'm just playing catchup. I'm happy to wait to hear back from our rep. But it's nice to know that I'm not crazy and/or illiterate. I definitely need to up my communication game though.

Have a good one,
Gina

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2012, 02:22 pm »
Gina ~
Your instincts are spot on.
Do ask AEA for the concession, they will want the support of the cast.
Brava.
VSM
Ordo ab chao

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2012, 02:39 pm »
Yeah...we were given the concession in the past. It always has to be approved by the cast though. I believe it was by simple majority though.  The first year in the relationship with the Guthrie/TAC was particularly hard to navigate through.

Gina

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2012, 10:54 pm »
Hey All,

We were granted a concession...easy peasy. Thanks for the feedback!

riotous