Author Topic: Casting for Equity Understudies  (Read 2748 times)

Jamie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Casting for Equity Understudies
« on: Aug 31, 2006, 03:36 pm »
Hi,
I am new to this website and am currently working for the first time as an equity stage manager.  The production (musical with cast of 4) has been running for several weeks and only now is looking into the prospect of casting understudies for each role.  The show will run for at least 8 more weeks.  Please let me know what is the obligation of the stage manager for understudy (equity and non-equity) auditions:  Am I obligated to find talent, schedule audition appointments, run the auditions, hire an accompanist, etc.?  Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Casting for Equity Understudies
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2006, 12:18 am »
You should really discuss the specifics with your producer, as all of these depend.

Basically, you are not responsible for any of these things per contract . . . you don't even have to show up for audition.  (For the nine months I ran a musical, understudies came and gone, I just got their contact information and their start date.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous