Author Topic: Cancelling a performance  (Read 3793 times)

rvhead

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Cancelling a performance
« on: Jun 17, 2009, 01:49 pm »
A small young theatre company that I am semi-involved with is facing a dilemma. They are currently producing a one-woman show (under an AEA contract: AEA actor and Stage Manager). The audiences have been really, really small. On one particular evening, only two audience members came. The actor and SM took it upon themselves to cancel the performance that evening, and the two patrons kindly said they'd come back a different night. HOWEVER, I cannot find a single thing in the AEA rulebook allowing for an actor or SM to cancel a show (or "refuse to perform") based on low audience turnout. I understand that it is awkward to do a one-person show for just two patrons, but contractually, she's gotta do it, right? Does anyone know of a rule that allows for this?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Cancelling a performance
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2009, 07:34 pm »
There is no clause on any contract I have worked on that would allow the SM and the Actors to choose to cancel a performance, unless, perhaps, there was a safety concern. 

I would love the option to pick and chose when I go to work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2009, 02:21 am »
(we used to have a running gag in 99-seat that if the cast outnumbered the audience we could cancel with impunity, but never in AEA - and regardless, here the cast did not outnumber the audience)

We all understand how it feels when the cast equals (or outnumbers) the audience, but it seems to me that the actor and SM cancelling would mean they shouldn't get paid for the nite either. We get paid for a cancelled show when we show up ready to work and the producer or someone else in authority decides to pull the show, but the performers cancelling for a small house and then getting paid? seems totally inappropriate - and very iffy, ethically speaking.

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2009, 01:30 am by loebtmc »

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:05 pm »
The producer is the only person who can cancel a performance.  If an outdoor show gets rained out, the producer could move us all indoors to do a reading of the play with stools if they want to give that audience a show of some kind.

In this situation, there should be a policy set by the producer regarding ticket sales - if the box office for a particular performance is only two tickets, I would think a smart producer would cancel the show, thereby saving the pay of any hourly workers such as house manager, board op, wardrobe crew, etc. 

Also, AEA usually has to agree to hold actors accountable for things like lateness, or not fulfilling their responsibilities - see "Duties of the Actor" in the LORT book for the kind of thing I'm talking about.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2009, 09:06 pm »
I worked a one man show once that towards the end of the run the audience was getting smaller and smaller. but we went on once with 2 people in the audience.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2009, 11:42 am »
In my experience its been up to the promoter/producer.  I've had weeks of tour canceled due to low ticket sales, and just this week we were supposed to have a comedian tomorrow but ticket sales were only around 150, which is not enough for the promoter to break even with.  But all the cancelations that I've dealt with were planning in advance.

I can see where at tiny theatre, the promoter or producer might have given the power to cancel to the SM - I'm guessing that the SM was the top 'ranking' administration person present?  And authorized by higher powers to make the call on the performance happening?

-Centaura