Author Topic: Calling all SPT stage managers  (Read 5815 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Calling all SPT stage managers
« on: Apr 13, 2012, 10:16 am »
I am working on a presentation relating to the SPT vacation rules and how it is impacting hiring practices, especially in smaller, lower-tier companies where there are finite runs and/or long breaks between productions. Initially, I directly contacted folks I knew, but this time the discussion is, as it should, going national. If you work on SPT at any level, would you please PM me so I can ask you some questions and include your input and experience in my presentation?

And of course, asap so I have time to make this presentation coherent!

Thank you

Pat

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all SPT stage managers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:56 pm »
I was unable to be at the national Developing Theaters meeting on the SPT vacation issue because I was working (in performance on a TYA...) which, as you can imagine, was really frustrating. But it seems that my not being there meant a lot of the national concerns which I learned from you guys here were not raised or were passed by as imagination. So everyone who also is losing work because their home theatre no longer rehires due to the vacation pay concerns being enforced needs to dive in and get in touch with their local AEA staff reps, because it is NOT a western-only issue, nor isolated to one or two theaters. And the only way to make our point is to make sure mine is not the only voice. Please.

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05 pm »
Having only worked on the SPT contract once 4-5 years ago, just curious - what is the issue at hand?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:03 pm »
SPT requires vacation pay at 12 weeks in a season. This is impacting many - tho not all - SPT stage managers.

It is not universal, but the rule is not enforced uniformly either. Many folks didn't know about it in the first place. Of those who knew, some were getting vacation pay and happy with the rule, but others were not being rehired so their companies don't have to pay vacation stipends, therefore losing much-needed health weeks.

A member in Dallas, where members seem to be disproportionately impacted, had raised concern, and I was on a subcommittee to research the issue and, hopefully, suggest ways to bring it in line with similar sized contracts. And then I was impacted by the rule as well, when our staff rep decided to enforce this rule for the first time, and our developing theatre committee decided that the pittance that is vacation pay could not be conceded despite the willingness of the impacted members to refuse it in return for health weeks.

Ah well.

If you are impacted by this, write to your AEA rep and send me a copy please.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:14 am »
I haven't been impacted by it but I worry about the people willing to forgo the vacation pay that they've earned in order to get the health weeks.  I understand why they did it, but it doesn't help the Union's position when they're own members are ceding items to companies without consulting the union.  I'm not even sure it's possible even if the member agrees to it.

I work at an SPT theater in CT and they get told by AEA every year at the end of our season if someone is due vacation pay and they typically have the theater send it to AEA and then AEA forwards it to the individual.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12 pm »
there are many members who are not able to earn their health weeks now that this rule is being enforced, since companies won't hire for a second show if it means over 12 weeks of work. Frankly, much more important to get health weeks, and frankly, I would gladly concede the tiny pittance that is vacation pay for the sake of my health benefits.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03 pm »
there are many members who are not able to earn their health weeks now that this rule is being enforced, since companies won't hire for a second show if it means over 12 weeks of work. Frankly, much more important to get health weeks, and frankly, I would gladly concede the tiny pittance that is vacation pay for the sake of my health benefits.
Yeah I can completely understand that.  Health insurance is much more expensive than we'll make in Vacation.  I think you're doing the right thing too, by trying to change it within the Union itself.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:22 pm »
It is not any members right to ignore any rule.
AEA makes decisions based on what is right for all it's members, not a select few.
Sometimes, we have to take one for the Team...
Ordo ab chao

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 04:47 pm »
My challenge is convincing all those other SMs across the country who wrote me, some of whom sent formal letters which I gave to Joe to introduce, to speak up, because it is NOT isolated, NOT only in the west and NOT only at my theater. It was initiated in Dallas because it's endemic there. But I have emails from folks from New England to Milwaukee to Atlanta to Colorado to Seattle who chimed in.

And - truth be told, half the problem is how many members who have worked SPT for years simply didn't know the rule existed, so part of the frustration for those where it has recently been required is that it is not being enforced except randomly as staff finds out. I hope others will get enough courage to speak up, especially those doing work-arounds or deliberately ignoring it. Right now, seems there are maybe 3 of us willing to bear the brunt of this. Sad.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:50 pm »
UPDATE: this is coming up for discussion one more time - and those of us who did the research and collected the experiences and notes have suggested we present an option for "on a single contract" or "on consecutive contracts" to replace "in a season."

If anyone has any updated info - work lost, comments made etc, please PM me privately for any info to add to my report. Having no issues is also a valid response. And, let me know if I have your permission to use your name, or the theater's name, in the presentation.

Thank you! And of course, asap if possible.