Author Topic: CAEA Apprenticeships  (Read 3148 times)

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
CAEA Apprenticeships
« on: Dec 28, 2008, 02:31 pm »
Greetings all,

I've been working as a tech at a mid-sized road house for the past few months and am starting to look at moving into stage management.  I'm starting to pick up small SM gigs of the community/amateur/semi-pro variety and am looking towards starting to pick up my Apprentice SM credits (its a Canadian thing) in the next 6-12 months.  To get a better sense of the lay of the land, I've been digging through old E-Drive SM postings when I came across something this morning that stuck out at me.  An Apprentice SM posting specifically mentioned a stipend ($1100 for a 3.5 week contract).  I found this odd because no other postings made any mention of wages, salary, or stipends.  So my questions are these:

Are CAEA Apprentice SMs paid?  If so, what are the general ballparks?  If you've been a CAEA Apprentice, what were your experiences? 

As an apprentice, I wasn't expecting to be well paid by any stretch of the imagination.  But something more than nothing is fairly key to someone paying student loans, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
Re: CAEA Apprenticeships
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:43 pm »
My humble suggestion would be to call Equity and ask them yourself. They'll be able to give you all the info you need and it'll be the most up to date there is.

Let us know if you find anything interesting.

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:40 am »
Hi: I've been CAEA for 20 years.. Apprentices are paid whatever the company is offering. There is no set amount by equity. I've heard of some smaller companies not paying anything (although this is rare). Most mid-sized, well established houses pay $500 per week. Younger or smaller companies can pay $350. I would say that's the standard range. It's not a question equity can answer. I'd be careful making that your first question though to the theatre. They want you to want the credit and if you're only doing it for the cash, it may come off as applying for the job for the wrong reason. Usually, young apprentices can afford to do this since they're living at home still. Hope that helps!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2008, 01:13 pm »
Hi: I've been CAEA for 20 years.. Apprentices are paid whatever the company is offering. There is no set amount by equity. I've heard of some smaller companies not paying anything (although this is rare). Most mid-sized, well established houses pay $500 per week. Younger or smaller companies can pay $350. I would say that's the standard range. It's not a question equity can answer. I'd be careful making that your first question though to the theatre. They want you to want the credit and if you're only doing it for the cash, it may come off as applying for the job for the wrong reason. Usually, young apprentices can afford to do this since they're living at home still. Hope that helps!
Very helpful, thank you!

I'm getting back into theatre because jobs I was doing 'for the money' made me want to put my eye out with a fork.  Thanks for clearing things up for me.  Most appreciated.