Author Topic: Visit from My AEA Business Representative  (Read 5929 times)

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Visit from My AEA Business Representative
« on: Oct 10, 2015, 04:52 pm »
Hello all!

Last week I received an interesting request.  Our Business Representative was coming to see the show on Sunday and wanted to meet with myself and my one Union cast member at some point that same day.  He also was meeting separately with our producer and was getting a tour of the space.  I, of course, fretted about the meeting a bit and spent some time double checking that everything was in compliance (it's only my second show with this contract and I've been double checking a lot anyway.)

My actor and I ended up meeting with him after the show.  He told us that he was fairly new to Equity and wanted us to have a face to put with the name.  Then he asked if we had any questions, which prompted some questions about the Deputy from me.  And we all had a lovely discussion about how AEA is going more digital.  At the end he offered us both a lot of swag (score!) and went to his meeting with the producers.  All in all it was a lovely experience and it was great to meet our Representative in person and not have him be just a voice on the phone or words in an email.  I'm also feeling a little more connected to the Union.

The reason I am posting about this is, in about five years of being an AEA member this is the first time that I've had a Business Representative come out to my theatre for a visit.  It has made me wonder, has anyone else on this board ever had a visit?  What was your experience like?  Do you think that meeting someone in person is helpful to developing a work relationship?

PS. Did you know that AEA has buttons for the Deputy that are made to look like Sheriff's badges?  I told him that I'd love to have a stash of those to offer to the Deputy of each of my shows.  Everyone loves swag!
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
Re: Visit from My AEA Business Representative
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2015, 01:39 am »
When I worked in the NYC offices I learned there were reps who went to the first rehearsal meeintg for every show on a certain contract level within the city (Broadway for sure, I want to say LORT and probably most Off-Broadway- not sure about anything else). Then when I was PAing at a LORT theatre, I know the rep came for the meeting every first rehearsal- obviously this is different outside of NYC, but around here it's pretty common. I never saw the deputy badges though!
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2015, 01:41 am by SMMeade »

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:45 am »
When I did a show in NYC with the Roundabout a few years ago our rep came to the first rehearsal and then also came to our first preview where he checked in with the deputy and I at the end of the show.  It was a nice face to face moment, not something we get in Boston at either the LORT or NEAT levels. Our NEAT rep we see at annual meetings so we're very comfortable reaching out as we need to.

SamanthaR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM - Phoenix Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2015, 06:04 pm »
Our rep came out from California this summer while I was working with the education summer programs.  He received a tour of our new theatre and expanded spaces.  I met him briefly in passing, nothing as formal as you had.
wee but mighty

stancial

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, IBT
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2015, 03:00 pm »
In my area of the country, there used to be a southeast traveling rep from Equity, I think based out of the Orlando office.  He would make the rounds at most Equity theatres every couple of years, meeting with members, meeting with the producer, and touring/inspecting the theatre.  I met him at SETCs when he did an AEA seminar there.  Equity, in their infinite wisdom, got rid of that job about five years ago, so now no one visits.

I agree, it was great not to have a faceless voice on the phone, but an actual person to talk with. 

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2015, 09:45 am »
I remember hearing about the deputy badges, but never seen them in person!

I had the LORT rep visit my show back in 2004. They were about to negotiate the new LORT contract and she wanted input from all of us. I don't remember much about the meeting, but I do remember she stayed for the show and the show was terrible that night.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2015, 09:09 pm »
I've only seen old deputy badges, I didn't know they still were handing those out (or had started it back up again). Nowadays in NY when the business reps come for the first rehearsal meeting the deputy gets the fancy erasable highlighters.

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2015, 10:09 pm »
I believe the Deputy badges are a West Coast office thing...At least that's what I remember hearing during the few short years I was out in LA.  I've never seen them in the East or Central Regions.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2015, 03:48 pm »
I do miss all the swag that I would get from the Chicago office. I had just gotten my Equity card when I moved to Kansas City for grad school so I was there for a couple of the visits from the reps when they were doing their rounds of the liaison cities. I also remember Ann Gordon (not sure if she's still there in the Chicago office), coming out to visit us in St. Louis one of the summers I was working there at Stages.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2015, 05:14 am »
In New York, you will most likely get a visit at your AEA Business Meeting, and then a walk thru at some point.

If you are working on a high profile piece or a new musical, expect many many visits . . . I had five during HUNCHBACK at LJP, and then three more when the show transferred to Paper Mill.

It happens.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous