Author Topic: Another 99-seat plan question (Breaks or lack thereof)  (Read 3620 times)

Michael

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
I am being encouraged by numerous people to not give breaks if the actors (two in particular) don't want them.

In our 2.5 hour show, about an hour consists of two actors onstage together (she's Equity, he isn't). Last night, she got very upset that I "interrupted" their scene "just" for a break. (I got this second-hand from other people -- she didn't tell me herself.) Should I talk to the producer about it? What should I do?

Can I get the theatre in trouble with Equity if I don't take the required breaks? (We're talking 5s and 10s -- not the hour lunch break.)

This is almost a moot point, as we open next Saturday, but it would be good to know for the future.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Another 99-seat plan question (Breaks or lack thereof)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2008, 01:33 pm »
You may want to meet w/ all parties at the start of rehearsal and make sure everyone is OK with running scenes/acts even if it goes past a non-lunch/dinner break.  I've found that AEA is very understanding and knows it's important to run the acts in whole blocks of time.  Is there an intermission in this 2.5 hour show?

Michael

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2008, 01:56 pm »
Yes. One or two intermissions (3 acts) but it hasn't been decided yet. Thanks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2008, 04:49 pm »
During runs, you can wait for the break until intermission . . . that is pretty standard on most contracts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2008, 08:16 pm »
Since it's a two-hander, when it gets to be around the time for a break, at an appropriate time, just ask them if they'd like to take a break or move on. I always feel the mood of the room and let people judge for themselves. Unless the piano player needs a break or something similar.
Ordo ab chao