Author Topic: AGMA Companies that are not offering travel/housing  (Read 5575 times)

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
AGMA Companies that are not offering travel/housing
« on: Jul 02, 2015, 12:31 am »
Ok, so I'm going to stir the pot a little here, but this is worth it to me.

Having worked in regional Opera for over a decade, there is a trend in small AGMA houses to not offer travel and housing although the Collective Bargaining Agreement requires it. 

Let me say, first and foremost, that if a company wishes to only hire local, have at it. Advertise the position as such.

Performing a nationwide search for Stage Management, and just ignoring that part of the CBA that talks about travel and housing is an absolute outrage to me, and it makes my blood boil that AGMA is allowing it.  A company does not have the right to dismiss or ignore part of the CBA, similar to the fact that I do not have the right to waive part of the CBA while I'm under an AGMA contract.

The response I got when I asked AGMA about it - "It's a trend, and like most trends, it will go away eventually."

Thoughts? Comments? Outlandish accusations?

"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: AGMA Companies that are not offering travel/housing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2015, 01:42 am »
This is a serious concern. BUT the timing is unfortunate. Contact your local AEA Regional Director with your concern.
The National Exec Director, Mary McColl, is in the midst of Production Contract Negotiations and needs to keep herself focused on that. Local Regional Directors will be more responsive. Please, keep us updated on your progress...
Ordo ab chao

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2015, 11:25 am »
VSM - just curious how contacting AEA reps for AGMA issues would be beneficial.

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2015, 01:30 pm »
Although, bringing up AEA, I've seen this with Equity SM job listings as well.
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2015, 03:03 pm »
The timing is unfortunate, as there are a lot of negotiations going on (Chicago, Dallas, etc) , but AGMA has been allowing this to go on for years . . .and of course it's becoming a trend.  As more companies note that they can save money by simply ignoring the Travel and Housing clause, of course they are going to cut that corner.

My pointed question is . . .why am I paying dues to a union that simply doesn't have the muscle or will to protect the CBA's it negotiates?  I can promise you that if this affected a union Chorus, AGMA would be all over it.  Stage Management, not so much.  I can't express my disappointment enough.  I've stood up for the union at times when I was the only person in the company who cared at all about the CBA.  The fact that I got a "Meh" response is just insulting.

If, as BenTheStageMan point out, though, that this an industry wide problem, I have much greater fears.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2015, 04:23 pm »
To play devil's advocate . . .

Let's say a company advertises a show, and they say no housing / transportation, which means you would be responsible for it.  This might actually still be appealing to a non-local - it might be the first job in a new city you are planning to move to, you might already have housing / transportation in that city.  Or, it might be a company you want to break into, so being hired as a local maybe worth it.

It would also allow you to negotiate - okay, the pay is 900 a week, I will need about 600 for housing and transportation.

It's not always a deal breaker.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2015, 11:51 pm »
The problem is that these companies are not willing to negotiate, and for a lot of them, you would have to "relocate" for 8 to 16 weeks worth of work, so it's not getting your foot in the door for a job that pays a living wage, it's just a gig.

Sure, if you were planning to move there anyway, knock yourself out.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2015, 01:45 am »
IMHO - An inquiry from a Regional Director of AEA to a Regional or National Director of AGMA will carry more weight than a simple inquiry from a member... One for All...
Ordo ab chao

riotous