Author Topic: AEA Teachers  (Read 5181 times)

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
AEA Teachers
« on: Sep 12, 2007, 03:51 pm »
I have a question that I'm not sure how to word.  Basically-- what does equity have to say about its members teaching?  In other words, I were have my equity card and then I get a job as a PSM / Stage Management teacher at a university is it scabbing if I SM shows there? 

Thanks for your insights. :)

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
Re: AEA Teachers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2007, 04:25 pm »
I taught but trained a student to SM so it was never an issue.  Can you do that?

LiLz

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2007, 04:56 pm »
I have a question that I'm not sure how to word.  Basically-- what does equity have to say about its members teaching?  In other words, I were have my equity card and then I get a job as a PSM / Stage Management teacher at a university is it scabbing if I SM shows there? 

Thanks for your insights. :)
This could get complicated, as you would possibly be eligible for membership in an educator's union.
Some of them are AFL-CIO affiliated, as is AEA.
That's a great "thinker".
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2007, 05:00 pm »
The info that I was given from AEA when I was asking a similar question was that typically you can be given an exemption for working at an educational organization, but the decision is made on a case by case basis.  I would confirm this with your area AEA rep, although if you are asking hypothetically and not about a specific job, they may not be able to give you a definitive answer.  Keep us updated!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2007, 05:06 pm »
I would confirm this with your area AEA rep, although if you are asking hypothetically and not about a specific job, they may not be able to give you a definitive answer.

Oh yeah-- I forgot to mention that I'm speaking hypothetically. :)

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:23 am »
Generally, Equity won't care about your teaching job - it isn't within the union's jurisdiction (they don't cover teaching jobs).  You should call your Equity rep about actually stage managing shows for the university.  There are certainly Equity members out there doing this but I don't know the arrangement.  It gets a little complicated so it would be worth checking on.  Good luck, it sounds like an interesting job.

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2007, 05:21 pm »
I know a past professor of mine asked the same question, only he wanted to SM as a sub in case someone was out for some reason or another and AEA wouldn't allow it.

candy

jmillbran

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/SMA
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2007, 08:51 pm »
As I work at in a university environment, what we theatre faculty and staff have to do is sign a waiver whenever we work on a non-AEA show for the school.  The waiver is pretty boilerplate: "part of our educational responsibilities as faculty/staff"...Our business rep has been dealing with the school for years, and she knows we don't exploit AEA members.

Even though the waiver is on a case-by-case basis, Equity has never denied approval...

As far as teaching goes, the University determines when I teach, but they're careful to allow me an hour and a half between my class and my call for rehearsals.
Joseph Millett
Resident Stage Manager
Clarence Brown Theater