Author Topic: AEA supporting IATSE?  (Read 10688 times)

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
AEA supporting IATSE?
« on: Nov 14, 2007, 12:31 pm »
Hi, guys!  I'm just wondering if there's been any talk in NYC of AEA's stance with IATSE.  Between IATSE on the East Coast and WGA on the West Coast things are crazy, aren't they?

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: AEA supporting IATSE?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2007, 01:09 pm »
 I'm not AEA (yet..) so I don't know any inside info but I know I saw a flyer that was about the AEA supporting them.
-C-

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2007, 01:28 pm »
From www.actorsequity.org --

"Equity Strongly Supports Local One/IATSE

Actors' Equity Association strongly supports Local One/IATSE in their efforts to reach a fair and equitable contract. The responsibility for the shutdown of Broadway rests squarely with the League of American Theaters and Producers. The Equity Council, per the Union's Broadway contract language, endorses and supports the strike, which has been sanctioned by Local One's IATSE International President, and directs its members to honor the picket line. The men and women of Local One/IATSE deserve fair wages and working conditions and, most importantly, the respect of everyone who is part of the theatrical community.

As per Equity's contract, we are instructing our members to report to their theaters and sign in for work. Equity staff will be at each affected theater to offer the latest information and help to our members. We are also encouraging our members to join the informational line at each theater to show solidarity with our Local One brothers and sisters."

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2007, 04:31 pm »
The sheets of paper they are handing out at the picket lines has that statement or something very similar from AEA on one side and a statement from IATSE on the other.

bradygonsalves

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:54 pm »
... The Equity Council, per the Union's Broadway contract language, endorses and supports the strike, which has been sanctioned by Local One's IATSE International President, and directs its members to honor the picket line.

As per Equity's contract, we are instructing our members to report to their theaters and sign in for work.

???

How is it possible to honor the picket line yet sign in for work? My understanding is the latter statement, that AEA members must honor the signed contract regardless of any extenuating circumstances.
Member AEA since 1998.
Member Philadelphia Area Liaison Committee 2003-2006.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:08 pm »
How is it possible to honor the picket line yet sign in for work?

because the deputies, stage managers and Equity business reps are standing outside in the lines.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2007, 11:17 am »
Thanks for the info.  My heart goes out the NYC SMs.  It must be hard to cross a picket line, even if the union is behind you as you do it.

nmno

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:01 pm »
It must be hard to cross a picket line, even if the union is behind you as you do it.

As I understand they are NOT crossing the picket line and are being encouraged to join the IA crews on the lines.  Signing in illustrates that the actors haven't said "great, a week off" and jetted off to Jamaica - that if the League and local 1 were to come to an agreement at half hour and the strike were to end, that the actors would be ready and willing to go onstage that night.  The phrasing "ready and willing to work" is confusing but it does not mean they are crossing the picket line.  Signing in also shows AEA that the actor is ready and willing to work and that is how they are eligible for "strike benefits" ie $405/week for 7 weeks (god help us if it goes on that long) until they are able to collect unemployment.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2007, 02:21 pm »
EXACTLY!!
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2007, 03:56 pm »
Ah!  Thanks again.

bradygonsalves

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2007, 04:42 pm »
Gracias. Labor strife is a very confusing, yet very necessary (in order to bring about change) topic. My thoughts are with Local 1 members as well as those who stand with them. Let's hope today's talks are productive.
Member AEA since 1998.
Member Philadelphia Area Liaison Committee 2003-2006.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2007, 12:36 pm »
Stagehands and Producers Break Off Talks
By CAMPBELL ROBERTSON

Published: November 19, 2007
Excerpt from The New York Times

The latest round of talks between the producers’ league and the stagehands’ union broke down last night, leaving no end in sight for the strike that has darkened most of Broadway for nine days.

Soon after the breakdown, the League of American Theaters and Producers announced that it was canceling performances of the 27 shows affected by the strike through Sunday.

No further talks have been scheduled.

The negotiations — which lasted for more than 13 hours Saturday and for 11 hours yesterday — came to a halt a little after 9 p.m.

Bruce Cohen, a spokesman for the stagehands’ union, Local 1 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, said in a statement that “producers informed Local 1 that what Local 1 offered was not good enough, and they left.”

Charlotte St. Martin, the executive director of the producers’ league, said: “We presented a comprehensive proposal that responded to the union’s concerns about loss of jobs and earnings and attempted to address our need for some flexibilities in running our business. The union rejected our effort to compromise and continues to require us to hire more people than we need.”

The producers decided to cancel the performances, she said, so that tourists coming to town for the Thanksgiving weekend could make other plans.
Ordo ab chao

nmno

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2007, 03:56 pm »
The producers decided to cancel the performances, she said, so that tourists coming to town for the Thanksgiving weekend could make other plans.

At what point does it go from a strike to a lockout?  ie. at what point do the producers have to pay?  Current example would be Grinch, where local one pulled the picket line there (due to the fact that the producers had a separate agreement) but the producers have kept their performances cancelled because it's in a League house...   Does that count as a lockout? 

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2007, 05:53 pm »
This would not be a lockout.  No agreement has been made between the two parties and no future chats have been scheduled for this week. As of yet that is.  This is just the producers covering themselves and trying to accommodate the ticket buyers.  Of course it is a power play by the producers.  By stating that they are in no hurry to make a deal and making the point that they are willing to give up the lucrative Thanksgiving revenue they put themselves in a better bargaining position.  Then again that does sound like a lock out.  But in this situation it is viewed as being realistic and not hostile.  I really don't see this coming to an end any time soon.  Although now that I put that in print it will probably end tomorrow.

This whole debate as I understand it is fairly tense.  If Local 1 gives at all it will set a president across the nation and many other theatres and venues will be able to renegotiate their contracts in accordance with what happens on Broadway.  So there is a lot at stake in this one. 
Peace,

Chops

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:19 am »
Looks like they've worked it out, good news.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/11/28/broadway.strike/index.html
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt