Author Topic: AEA Staged Reading Contract?  (Read 12018 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
AEA Staged Reading Contract?
« on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:29 am »
I'm looking for the AEA Staged Reading contract on the Equity website but I can't find it. I have found the Staged Reading guidelines, but while they only reference it as a contract with more hours (and say that it in turn references the Off Broadway contract). Anybody have it? Or am I just totally misreading/misunderstanding the guidelines?
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2012, 11:37 am by missliz »
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
Re: AEA Staged Reading Contract?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:38 am »
Staged Readings only falls under the 1-page guidelines, if I remember correctly.

If you're doing a workshop that rehearses for a number of weeks, and not just the 20, 30, 40 etc that a reading normally is, it references a contract.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:57 am »
Staged readings are very tricky, and depends on who is sponsoring it.  Best to just cut to the chase and call AEA.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2012, 01:30 pm »
http://actorsequity.org/docs/codes/Stage_Reading_Guidelines.pdf

It's under codes, not agreements, if that helps, cuz it's not a contract

have fun!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:45 pm »
http://actorsequity.org/docs/codes/Stage_Reading_Guidelines.pdf

It's under codes, not agreements, if that helps, cuz it's not a contract

have fun!

Yeah, this is what I keep finding, but this is what's throwing me:

"Should the combined rehearsal/Reading hours for the Reading extend beyond 29 then the production must be placed on a Staged Reading Contract."

So....where can I find this contract they speak of?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2012, 12:12 am »
Again, I recommend talking to AEA.

You need to be very clear on what contract you are actually on - I have done a bunch of "readings" but on the LORT casual employment rider . . .

Just keep an eye how it's being produced.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2012, 11:40 pm »
I second calling AEA about this. The SF Bay has their own Staged Reading Guidelines, and we are allowed to work under those (without a formal contract) as long as the combined rehearsal and performance hours do not exceed 20. If it is planned to exceed that limit, or we break another guideline on the list, we have to be under a Periodic Performance Contract. That's just the Bay Area (and my experiences), and you won't find that contract on the website either.

If you are going beyond your area's Reading Guidelines, then you need to call AEA and let them know which guideline is being broken so that they can get the proper contract started (which may be this mysterious Staged Reading Contract). For me, the PP references another contract that the theater is usually under, which for me has always been a LORT or a BAT. Generally a new hourly wage is set, with a minimum requirement of AEA actors and a new hour limit on the project.

Don't be afraid to call AEA. My last reading that I worked on had to shift to a PP contract at the last minute because there was a ticket price charged for the event. I didn't even know we had a ticket price until I did some googling of the project to learn more about the author of our piece. That was my red flag, and I spoke with the producer, and I convinced her to be the one to call equity to get it worked out. (And she did.)

Corrected myself in the first paragraph for clarity.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2012, 11:41 am by BayAreaSM »