Author Topic: AEA Rulebook  (Read 8820 times)

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
AEA Rulebook
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:03 pm »
Hey gang!

I need a copy of the AEA Rulebook.  I'm sure it's on here and I just can't find it.  I went to the Equity sight but I only found very specific rulebooks.  Is there not a general one?
Plus, if anyone has a copy of anything like "Stage Manager Job Description" I would greatly appreciate it.  My current Artistic Director and I don't see eye to eye on what my job is, so I'm looking to try and meet her in the middle; but having some other opinions on the day to day things  we do would be helpful.  Most specifically what we do once the show is open.  She feels that the SM  should never give an actor a note.
Thank you all so much,
Deb
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: AEA Rulebook
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 08:03 pm »
Every contract has a rulebook, and you need to look at a specific contract or code to get the specific rules - are you currently working under or referencing a contract for work rules? That would be the one to pull from the AEA site.

BUT in all contracts there is a section called "stage managers" - and in there is fairly consistent language defining our role and what is and isn't allowed. If your director is simply trying to work under AEA rules for the sake of professionalism, I suggest you look at LORT, whose language is the most common among the majority of the contracts, and pull out that section.

Do you have specific questions?

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56 pm »
In terms of giving notes, Equity says that once the show opens it's the SM's job to maintain the show as directed...meaning the SM should give notes to accomplish that goal.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:28 am »
In terms of giving notes, Equity says that once the show opens it's the SM's job to maintain the show as directed...meaning the SM should give notes to accomplish that goal.

That's not necessarily so.    You can still maintain the show and give notes through an assistant director for example, or thru the artistic director. 

I find that a lot of directors don't trust younger stage managers to give notes.  I know that it is often not taught in school - and it's a very fine art to maintaining a note. At my theatre, we have a very specific ways notes are to be given, and I am not at all responsible for maintaining the show all by myself, but do so with the resident assistant director.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:42 am »
You can be the messenger, handing notes to the actors from the director - but that doesn't sound like the prob.Do you mean, the director doesn't want you giving acting notes after watching a show and making observations of what isn't within the show's conceit/concept? If that's the case, you might want to take notes and run them past the director, handing out those she agrees w, and w her support. Why doesn't she feel the SM shd be giving notes? Is someone else (such as the AD) assigned to officially maintain the show for the run?

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:39 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm kind of in a weird place with this particular theatre.  Some good ol' summer stock! After opening night, the directors leave and I'm the only one left.  There isn't and Assistant Director.  I don't even have an assistant!  (Anyone else up for doing Millie without one because that will be fun for me later!) The Artistic Director, who doesn't necessarily know all of the rehearsal discoveries that I do, simply feels that it is never a stage managers job to give notes. I don't want to argue with her or anything like that.  So I'm simply trying to convey to her that that's kinda my job.  There is no one else to do it. So, she does it.  Which isn't effective.  The actors don't have a relationship with her and don't seem to pay much attention during notes.  And then when they don't take the notes, somehow it's my fault. When I interviewed she stated that although it's non-union, she likes to use union standards (except for the assistant thing, obviously) so I thought maybe this was a good way to go about it.  Do any rulebooks state that the SM gives notes after opening?
It's only a four month gig, but I do want these shows to be the best that they can be.  And I think that me being prepared for this conversation is the first step.

Thanks,
Deb

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:44 am »
Well, the SMs duties include maintaining the director's vision - which usually entails giving notes where appropriate.

It shall be the responsibility of the Stage Manager to maintain the
discipline of the company, maintain the prompt book and act as the
executive instrument of the Director and/or Producer whenever both are
absent in maintaining the artistic intent of the Director and/or Producer.

does that help?

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:34 pm »
YES!!! Where did this come from? And is there a way to get a copy?

Thanks!!

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 02:34 am »
I just went to the AEA website and opened a couple of agreements, turned to "stage managers" and copies it out (yes you can print from the website) - this might have been SPT, I looked at a couple, the language is quite similar (we are trying to standardize language where possible for everyone's sanity) but it wasn't hard to find. I know you're stressed right now - take a deep breath, know this too shall pass, and go peruse the various agreements until you find the one w the language you like best, hit the print key and turn it in to your head honcho.

LORT also says (under duties of the actor - note where I bolded the language)
(1) The Actor agrees to be prompt at all calls including but not limited to rehearsals, costume and photo calls; to appear at the theatre no later than 1/2 hour prior to the performance; to pay strict regard to make-up and dress; to perform his services as reasonably directed, and sustained by the Stage Manager, and to conform to the language of the script to the best of his ability; to properly care for his costumes and props; to respect the physical property of the production and the Theatre and to abide by all reasonable rules and regulations of the Theatre which are not in conflict with the provisions of this Agreement.  Repeated lateness or other infractions of the Equity rules shall subject the Actor to disciplinary proceedings, in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws of Equity.

Good luck

shudson

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2008, 10:12 am »
Is your artistic director also your director of the show?

riotous